• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who has the final say about medical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fraz76

Dear Airwarriors
I am a NavVet that got PRO-REC for NFO. Currently waiting for a date to go down to MEPS. But they are saying they will not see me because of my 10% disablity rating from the VA. I know that they are the convining authority for all enlisted personnal.

And I am also hearing that BUMED is the over authority for Officer Canidates. I am thinking that if I get a flight physical wouldn't they (flight surgeons)have the over authority of yeah or nay. MEPS is messing with my life and career. Need some advise. Would like to hear from others?

WINK if you are out, pls let me know what you think.

I am also heading down to see my Officer Recruiter tommorrow to see what else is going on and what I can do about this.

Thanks Alot,
Fraz76 (Former RM2)

AZSkegee

Hey RM2, What is an RM?, anyway during my civilian side my the OCS process I went Bethesda, and was looked at my Naval Doctors. BUMED is the convening authority on these matters and their instructions are followed by the other controlling custodians, lol brown shoe navy terms. Try to see if in your area there is a way to go to a DOD medical activity and recieve your physical? good luck
Funny Story - I was medically cleared in 01 as fit for duty as a civilian but when I enlisted and was being processed at MEPS Dr. Brown said I wasnt cleared for enlisted duty, he had a problem with a navy doctor's endorsement. Go figure civilian contractors

mbeaser

RMs (Radiomen) and DPs (Data Processing Technicians) merged in the mid 90s into the RM rating, retaining the RM sparks. In October 1999 the RM rating was renamed to IT (Information System Technician) perhaps because someone thought it would be funny to have a bunch of ITs running around. The merger was pretty unpopular with DPs because RMs had lower ASVAB score requirements, although most former DPs have more trouble with the exams than former RMs. IT ASVAB requirements recently rose again, but unfortunately it isn't making new recruits any more mature (we lost 2 people to drugs from the base in the last year, both were ITs, we've got another one working hard on getting kicked out for inability to adapt, that is half of the 6 most junior people in the shop).
Missy, IT1 type

AZSkegee

I also heard a rumor that AZ's and IT's were merging, At least I'll know my rating family tree knowledge whenever that's supposed to happen

mbeaser

(apologies for hijacking the post)
The CCD (center for career development) was here yesterday and they didn't say anything, but mentioned that ATs and ETs might be merging.

Status
Not open for further replies.