• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who Drives the Submarine?

hourocket

Bullseye
None
One thing that sucks about having junior guys on the sticks is that when you go from ahead-flank to all-back-emergency, they don't recognize that inputs are reversed. You then find yourself at a 70 degree down angle and breach ass backwards. Good times.

70 degree down angle??? Hmm, not sure about that one, not to get into too much detail, but there is a point where a submarine cannot get itself back to neutral and the boat I was on limit was above this.

Only enlisted guys drive the boat, they let the officers jump on for a few minutes to see how it is but that is about it. I spent 2 years on the sticks and most of the time it was very boring but I have done some really cool crap while driving which none of it I can talk about. Every boat varies on who drives and who doesnt, but if you really want to you could push the issue and get qualified.

boobcheese

70 degree down angle??? Hmm, not sure about that one, not to get into too much detail, but there is a point where a submarine cannot get itself back to neutral and the boat I was on limit was above this.

I have no idea if there is a point of no return on the angle but I was standing on the forward bulkhead before we were done. Shit was falling everywhere and people were scared. I think there were quite a few, the planesman obviously included, that didn't realize we were going backwards and thought we were getting ready to drive into the floor. There are no gauges that measure that steep of an angle and we had to estimate. I think the 70 degree figure actually came from the beans in the coffee maker (big clear bin of beans) that remained skewed after the fact. I think I was lucky in that I didn't know enough at the time to realize how much could have gone wrong in that situation. Not exactly verification but the event is mentioned on wikipedia.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Officers don't sit the sticks. It is an enlisted only watch.

Officer Candidates (MIDN) Do! One of the greatest cruises I've had was my 2/c "Enlisted" cruise on the USS Alaska...qualified Dive/Planes in the first 2 weeks and stood watch the rest of the cruise...Also the best way to get in with the crew is to work into the watch schedule...37 days underwater we hid with pride.

~D

Random8145

Good grief, being on that Houston must've been quite an adventure:D Diving, surfacing, diving, then surface again, electrical fire, poison gas, narrowly avoiding a torpedo, etc...