• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whiting Housing

xmid

pilot
Contributor
What is the deal with living in government housing at Whiting? Can anyone explain it somewhat? I know everyone has stay in base housing, but are they allowing single guys to live in Whiting Pines by themselves? Are the places that a single guy would be living adequate? If you were to stay in permanent housing at the BOQ do they allow you to bring your own furniture and do they charge you extra for cable and internet?

And my last question to anyone that can help, how does payment work in Whiting Pines (assuming that they don't just take away your BAH)?

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
There is already a thread on this.
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141176
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142211&highlight=pines
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140731&highlight=pines
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143293&highlight=pines

You have 2 options for payment of your BAH. You can pay a deposit of one months BAH and just go in every month and write a check or you can have it direct deposited out of your pay check. With DD there is no deposit and it is transparent to the member. Some of the threads from above are a little old so I would suggest calling the housing office. Last I heard you could be single and rent a 2 bedroom/1 bath.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I am single and share a 3 bedroom, 2 bath with a friend in Whiting Pines. It's a great deal. I still pocket the remaining BAH, and I get a MUCH bigger house than the silly apartment I had in Corpus.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Do you have to have a roomate to live in Whiting Pines? If you don't do they just take all your BAH or give you a different place?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Do you have to have a roomate to live in Whiting Pines? If you don't do they just take all your BAH or give you a different place?

I believe if you live alone, they just take all your BAH (which is a deal since the "cost" of a house here is more than your BAH), and if you live with a roommate then they split it and only take out your half of the cost from your BAH and give you the rest.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
What do you have to put down to move in? Deposit and first months rent, or they just make your BAH dissappear and welcome you to the neighborhood?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
What do you have to put down to move in? Deposit and first months rent, or they just make your BAH dissappear and welcome you to the neighborhood?

Basically. You'll see the deduction reflected in your LES.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I am single and share a 3 bedroom, 2 bath with a friend in Whiting Pines. It's a great deal. I still pocket the remaining BAH, and I get a MUCH bigger house than the silly apartment I had in Corpus.

Yeah, but it doesn't have a pool ;)

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator

Just go in the office and ask. Getting my house there was easy. I walked in asking to look at a place, showed a copy of my orders, walked out with keys. They take care of the money stuff, although I'd pay attention to how they work the fincances because you are single are would potentially split the BAH.

I lived in a duplex by my self for 3 months. Rent for the duplexes is $1150 per month (BAH is like $1090) so they take your BAH and then some. Half will come out of your paycheck every 2 weeks. I found it worth the extra $60 to have my own place. When you show up, the only $ you will owe up front is the rent remaining for the month that you showed up. I got a roomate about a month ago and he went through the same process but now each of use are only paying $575 a month. And we got a 3rd roomate and are moving into a 3 bedroom today ($1225/month rent) so rent split 3 ways is $408.33. It pays to have roomates, literally. The BOQ this past week was at 98% occupancy. I don't know how that will affect things but the 3rd roomate stayed there for a few days while we moved into the new place and he said there were only 2 rooms left. You may get lucky and get the "room not available" stamp from the BOQ