• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whiting Damage?

Circle K

pilot
Far from confirmed... but the mayor of Milton was on TV this morning. He characterized the town as "ground zero for hurricane dennis" Which CNN followed up by saying that Milton was inside of the northeastern to eastern (strongest side) of the eye wall for the longest amount of time. The mayor went on to say that "historic Militon and downtown" (didn't know these were two different places) were pretty much leveled. In terms of Whiting, the report went on to say there were "unspecified damages to the local navy base" that they couldn't confirm because they weren't allow on base to look around.

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
Photos here

There are some photos of Milton damage here and here.

There's actually a pic from base housing in there. It looks bad, but not as bad as the damage from Ivan (as far as I can tell from these pictures). Ivan cleared out most of the old & poorly built stuff I guess.

Here's the full PNJ photo gallery: LINK. It's the best photo coverage I've found.

I'm curious about I-10. They hadn't finished repairing the damage from Ivan yet, and I wonder how well that steel grating held up.

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
handjive said:
It looks bad, but not as bad as the damage from Ivan (as far as I can tell from these pictures). Ivan cleared out most of the old & poorly built stuff I guess.
I lived in Whiting Pines when Ivan came through last year and overall the houses held up great! The only "old & poorly built stuff" that Ivan "cleared out" were trees. Only about 8 houses or less sustained damage (only 1-2 substantial) from trees falling on them, not from diminished structural integrity. No roofs blew off or anything major like that. I was pretty impressed how well those houses did considering 3 tornadoes ripped right through the center of them and knocked down a sh!tload of trees.

I (thankfully) don't live in Milton anymore so I can't give you a comparison of Ivan vs. Dennis.

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
Yeah, the houses at WP are built like brick sh!thouses. I too lived in The Pines for Ivan and 99% of the damage was to the trees. The houses fared great.

The poorly built stuff I spoke of was the crap out in town (and the wimpy trees that didn't last through Ivan).

slabicro

Helo wife
I live in Milton and as far as we have been told and seen in the news I10 suffered no damage this time :D They had it closed just to be sure it was safe and secure but Pensacola didn't get hit too hard like with Ivan. As mentioned elsewhere, Milton/Pace area were more in the grunt of the storm since Pcola was on the western side of the eye wall.