• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whidbeyites: Any good or bad body shops nearby?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just got into a fender bender yesterday and need to get my bumper fixed. USAA gave me a list of body shops in the area, but being relatively new, I really don't have a sense for who does good or not so good work. So I figured I'd ask around. The shops they gave are Central Collision and Main Street Collision in Oak Harbor, Main Street Collision in Coupeville, and Punton's Body Shop in Anacortes? Anyone heard of these outfits or know of anyone getting work done there?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Don't know anything about the shops in the area, but make sure that it is a USAA certified (whatever they call it) shop. When ive delt with them in the past they told me i could get the car fixed anywhere, but the good thing about going to a USAA shop is the lifetime warrenty on the repairs they do...

MasterBates

They call it a STAR shop. I got my truck back 2 weeks ago, after it was in the shop for 3-1/2 weeks for a grill, hood, bumper and AC condenser.

USAA is great to deal with, but the shops are independent contractors. Just don't be afraid to call your adjuster if the shop starts jerking you around.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They call it a STAR shop. I got my truck back 2 weeks ago, after it was in the shop for 3-1/2 weeks for a grill, hood, bumper and AC condenser.

USAA is great to deal with, but the shops are independent contractors. Just don't be afraid to call your adjuster if the shop starts jerking you around.
Yup. That's why I want to try to get a good shop before I start. Car's only a year and a half old so I want it done right. They're all USAA Certified; that's who I got the list from. But as Master said; all the guys in the area could be absolutely top notch for all I know, but for all I know they might be less than that too.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Main Street Auto Body -Coupeville. Their work is perfect.

I've hear Central Collision is ... "good" ... never used them personally. I believe the guy who started Central used to work with Main Street.

While they -- Main Street -- own the shop in Oak Harbor as well -- they insist on me bringing my vehicles to the Coupeville shop. I've used them for two decades -- when they really were on Main Street IN Coupeville. Perfect work ..... Ask for Rick or Phil ... use them for most mass production cars ...

....if you have a Porsche, Vette or something more exotic --- I have another suggestion.

P.S. ... I'm not a Whidbeyite -- and I'm not Dutch ... even though I've been here off & on for >38 years .... :)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
There was a gent who did the body work on my Alfa located on the road on the north side of Dugwalla bay. He mostly did restorations but his work was excellent.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
There was a gent who did the body work on my Alfa located on the road on the north side of Dugwalla bay. He mostly did restorations but his work was excellent.
Mark Weir ... I think he's off island these days -- not sure ... 1st class work for most foreign makes --- bring $$$ as he's usually over the insurance estimates.

I did use him on my Posche for some insurance work a long time ago ... he still does great work as a friend just recently had his damaged Porsche rebuilt there --- it was an insurance write-off and it looks showroom new --- don't be in a hurry as Mark takes a while, though.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Mark Weir ... I think he's off island these days -- not sure ... 1st class work for most foreign makes --- bring $$$ as he's usually over the insurance estimates.

I did use him on my Posche for some insurance work a long time ago ... he still does great work as a friend just recently had his damaged Porsche rebuilt there --- it was an insurance write-off and it looks showroom new --- don't be in a hurry as Mark takes a while, though.

Well, it's only been 12 years or so. I guess time marches on, even Island time. Nice guy though and it was very nice work.
AlfaonPCH.jpg

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Just got into a fender bender yesterday and need to get my bumper fixed. USAA gave me a list of body shops in the area, but being relatively new, I really don't have a sense for who does good or not so good work. So I figured I'd ask around. The shops they gave are Central Collision and Main Street Collision in Oak Harbor, Main Street Collision in Coupeville, and Punton's Body Shop in Anacortes? Anyone heard of these outfits or know of anyone getting work done there?

just a question, but does WA law allow you to got to a body shop of your choice for unsurance repairs and estimates? Or do you have to choose a shop that falls under the insurance co.'s estimate?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Central Collision is good, went to them three times and never had a complaint. Thye were pretty used to dealing with USAA and the payment, appointment and repair were relatively painless.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cool. I'll give one of them a shot next week; just wanted to make sure there weren't any sleazeballs running around. The damage is fairly minor; I just got backed into at a stoplight, but thanks for the gouge.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
1. just a question, but does WA law allow you to got to a body shop of your choice for unsurance repairs and estimates? 2. Or do you have to choose a shop that falls under the insurance co.'s estimate?
1. Yes :)
2. No :(