• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whidbey Housing

MRGkp04

None
I've been talking to people on here and at VT-86 just trying to get a grasp on housing. I got some pretty good information from Brett already (thanks!) and I just wanted to see if anyone else had any opinions...one of my instructors recommended staying in the Q until you are able to find a place to buy or rent. When I got here to NPA last year, they were only letting married guys get on base housing. Anyone know if its possible to just shack up in the Q till you find a place-do they allow/have room for that?

So from what I gather, Oak Harbor is the closest, but I heard its not the best place for a single guy (i.e no single girls, few bars, etc).

If I could afford it I think I'd lean towards Anacortes because its still relatively close to the base, and has more stuff to do. But I hear that a lot of Seattle people are kind of taking that over, driving up the cost of property, complaining about jet noise, and acting all liberal.

I know that nation wide sales of homes have fallen for the first time in a long time, any up in the area there seen any drop in prices? I have a friend that just went up there and dropped over 300K on a 4 bedroom house...is it still possible to get something decent for around 200K anywhere?

Any info and opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

Matt

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm considering; repeat: considering .... renting this Whidbey hovel .... but this is what you will sometimes have to put up with:

.... Ahhhhhhh .... yesterday. Today's fogged in .... :)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
A4s, one of these days we'll have to go out and have a beer on the island here.... went golfing today at the course and could barely see the fog was so thick.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^ MUMBLES ???? :eek:

We had a guy in the squadron we called ... "Mumbles" ... probably your Uncle. :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been talking to people on here and at VT-86 just trying to get a grasp on housing. I got some pretty good information from Brett already (thanks!) and I just wanted to see if anyone else had any opinions...one of my instructors recommended staying in the Q until you are able to find a place to buy or rent. When I got here to NPA last year, they were only letting married guys get on base housing. Anyone know if its possible to just shack up in the Q till you find a place-do they allow/have room for that?

So from what I gather, Oak Harbor is the closest, but I heard its not the best place for a single guy (i.e no single girls, few bars, etc).

If I could afford it I think I'd lean towards Anacortes because its still relatively close to the base, and has more stuff to do. But I hear that a lot of Seattle people are kind of taking that over, driving up the cost of property, complaining about jet noise, and acting all liberal.

I know that nation wide sales of homes have fallen for the first time in a long time, any up in the area there seen any drop in prices? I have a friend that just went up there and dropped over 300K on a 4 bedroom house...is it still possible to get something decent for around 200K anywhere?

Any info and opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

Matt

I don't know if I screwed up in how I went about this the second time I went up to Whidbey but they were letting PCS guys stay in the Q on a Space-A basis only, and there was no availabilty....ever. Not only that, the Q staff were a bunch of pricks.....:icon_rage I knew some people from the first time I was there and I was able to crash until I got a place but the accomodations on base for a single new PCS guy were non-existent the last time I went through. Anyone there right now probably knows better than me though, that was a few years ago......

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know if I screwed up in how I wnet about this the second time I went up to Whidbey but they were letting PCS guys stay in the Q on a Space A basis only, and there was no availabilty....ever. Not only that, the Q staff were a bunch of pricks.....:icon_rage I knew some people from the first time I was there and I was able to crash until I got a place but the accomodations on base for a single new PCS guy were non-existent the last time I went through. Any there right now probably knows better than me hough, that was a few years ago......

Concur. Don't count on the Q. Hit up some of the local property managers (available at the housing office), or google some of them to get an idea of what's available, and get yourself a rental for the short-term. As for the single lifestyle, there's not a significant difference between OH and Anacortes, although the "scene" in Anacortes is a little more hip. Bottom line, you're going to the Pac NW, so stand by for general disappointment in the hot chicks dept. You'll be able to sus out the real estate market plenty before you're in a position to buy, but most average houses are going to be north of 250K. That may sound like a lot based on your previous experience, but you'll find that it's actually quite affordable.

Brett