• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which is easier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouch

rhollin, SWO is closed for the next two years or so. Supply is hard to get. AMDO is even harder. Grim picture. Just curious, how did you answere the question about marijuana on your med screen?

Valion310

Well, alcohol and how to drink it is a required briefing in the Navy, so you should be okay on that one.

kraemer77

I have been coming to this site for a couple of months and if there is one constant that I have noticed--it is that most people have their sources, but the information is not always correct and quite often inconsistent. Case in point, Grouch claims that SWO is closed out for two years, but I read a post two weeks ago that stated SWO was 62% for fiscal 2002, with OCS slots still available for Nov and Dec. People post that SNA is closed out until 2004, but candidates still get selected. Why? I don't know but I am sure that the selection board does--and usually we are not privy to that information--we have recycled information that is equivalent to that game six degrees of separation with Kevin Bacon. If I believed everything that I read on this board in respect to information pertaining to selection issues, not those posts related to affairs occuring after selection, I would have chosen not to submit my kit. Things change everyday as they will forever. My point, without any disrepect to anyone who posts here, is that we only know what they want us to know--and I think that is how they want it--they being the board. Scuttlebut is good, but that is all it is--people should send in their kit regardless of these ominous reports, and see what happens.

Kraemer77
"Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do"

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Kraemer makes a very good point. People need to realize that OCS is not the primary means to commission people. It's used as filler depending on how the ROTCs and Academy fair. Plus, it's a means to commission Restricted Line officers since the Academy and ROTC don't commission those normally (except for NPQ'ed individuals). The point being that the numbers flex.

grouch

Scott, SWO is closed to OCS. The acadamy or ROTC is a different story. I tried hard to get SWO and there was just no way. Seeing how rhollin asked about OCS I figured he wasn't going to the academy. A lot of that info is based also on some creditable information fresh out of OCS. Thanks for contributing your criticism now is there anything useful you would like to add?

kraemer77

Actually, Yes! I do have information to contribute but as the old adage goes--"Take things with a grain of salt."

I spoke with the Marine OSO here in Atlanta back in late August about my options with the Marine Corps--with no dependence upon one particular billet--and he informed me that the Marines were not taking civilian applicants for anything--except aviators. He explained that the Marines were fat and happy and really did not need anything but aviators--most of their officer needs were being fulfilled from within their enlisted ranks, which is a course of action being aggressively encouraged right now.

Does that mean that interested applicants should not apply for Marine OCS?--maybe, but contraction occurs daily, without concern for what was said yesterday, a month, or a year ago. Dedicated individuals such as ourselves do not heed those warnings--we persevere forward--battling all of the obstacles that get in our way--the Navy would ask for nothing less.

But just in case you forgot a conversation you had with a psrogers in the SWO Forum about a month ago--I dug it up for you to look at, just scroll down. I think you will agree that these different posts support those claims I originally purported.

"Good luck to all with active kits, keep strong and don't believe the hype!"

Kraemer77
"Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do"

psrogers USA
55 Posts
Posted - 09/18/2002 : 17:27:07
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Grouch, I have some data for you, fresh from Lt Cmdr Geers office up here in Seattle. He says that '02 SWO is only 62% full, as of yesterday. I bet you're shocked to hear that, and so was I. Even more astounding, there are OCS dates in OCTOBER AND NOVEMBER for SWO. That's what I am applying for, and my advice to you is: apply, apply, apply!

"Hmmmm???"

Status
Not open for further replies.