• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which Breitling should I keep?

I purchased a Breitling Superocean Steelfish through the AAFES as a winging gift to myself. Just recently they added a few other Breitling's including the Aerospace w/co-pilot. I ordered that too as I was told I can bring one back to the exchange for a refund.

I know they are very different as the Superocean is a auto, and the Aerospace is a quartz. I do have an extra spot in my winder which is why I ordered the auto in the first place. This is going to my my everyday watch to (share with my Luminox) /dress watch (to share with my Invicta Reserve.)

What are your opinions? [Superocean $2349/Aerospace $2899]

Renegade One

None
Old Chinese proverb: "Man with one watch always knows what time it is. Man with two watches is never really sure."

All that said, I'm impressed that the Superocean Steelfish is rated to a depth of 2000 meters. Not that your emergency O2 would last that long, but I'm just sayin'...

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Are you goint to use it in the cockpit?

So here are the watches for comparison:

Aerospace:
2006-Avantage-450.jpg

Copilot module (showing takeoff time)

Module-600.jpg

If you want to fly with it, the Aerospace is a great pilot's watch (many think it is the best), and the copilot is handy to have for extra times. It is NVG compatible, it can display UTC on the dial (or on the copilot module), and it has a second timezone, chrono and countdown functions. It really is one of the best aviation watches out there, but if you are not going to fly with it I'm not sure I would pick that one up.

Aaaaaand, the Aerospace is not dressy in the least. If you want more of an everyday/casual-to-dressy watch that has some versatility the SuperOcean is the way to go. Like all Breitlings it is a bit shiney and blingy... but that is to be expected. The movement is the most ubiquitous chrono out there (the Valjoux 7750), so getting any work done on it will be a piece of cake. And every serious watch collector should have an automatic or manual wind watch in their collection.

I got the superocean steelfish. Not a chronometer and it has a Breitling 17 (ETA 2824-2 based) movement. Its good to 2000m, and is black dial. The aerospace is a black dial as well.

I will probably wear it flying as I am about to be a Herc driver as well.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I got the superocean steelfish. Not a chronometer and it has a Breitling 17 (ETA 2824-2 based) movement. Its good to 2000m, and is black dial. The aerospace is a black dial as well.

I will probably wear it flying as I am about to be a Herc driver as well.
You did say the Steelfish, and you didn't say anything about it being a chrono...my bad for reading comprehension.

Also, it is a chronometer (it's right there on the face en francais); that is, it has passed a series of tests by the C.O.S.C. saying that it is accurate within so many seconds per day for a set of conditions. It is not, however, a chronograph (usually abbreviated chrono), which is a watch with a function for keeping elapsed time (like a stop watch), like the previous model I posted.

Is this yours, and is yours the X-plus? That is a monster-big watch (44mm)!
showimage.php

Anyhoo, that is all nitpicking. Congrats on your upcoming winging and move to flying the four fans of freedom. As for which watch, you may want to try them both on and see if one grabs you more than the other. If you are going to fly with it I would get the Aerospace.
Congrats again.

Yes that's it. I meant to write chronograph, or just chrono. Yes, I am aware of the COSC. Thanks guys for your input and just waiting on the second to arrive in the mail.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The aafes is the army/air force exchange ... their NEX.

to the OP, could you direct me to where on the AAFES/NEX website they have breitlings? I checked today and the nicest I could find were all Tags. No offense to Tag owners, but they don't do it for me.

East

东部
Contributor
I'm wearing my Aerospace for 10 straight years now.
I tried the B-1 from colleagues for a few hours, as that was the so called next generation professional. Felt kind of heavy however.
Just the weight of Ti did it for me, not to mention the analog/digital time displays.

Ultimate aviation watch.

Attachments

• breitling.jpg
    breitling.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 53
This is an easy one. I am keeping the Aerospace. It will be much more useful and is so light and comfortable. The other would be a better w/suit watch, but I already have one that will fit that role. This will be my casual/fly watch (although may still wear the Luminox sometimes.)

Thanks for all the advice guys.