• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where's the LUV ??? SWA to eat Frontier ???

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
From the "I didn't see this one coming" department: Southwest Airlines Co. said Thursday, July 30, that it will bid $113.6 million to buy Frontier Airlines Holdings Inc., a low-cost, low-fare rival that is operating in bankruptcy. The 'official line' is that LUV will operate FRNT as a wholly owned subsidiary .... at least for a while. :)

Good news: the guys @ Frontier must be smiling, at least a little more today than during the past year ...

Bad news: I guess now even SWA will now have to put up w/ the Airbus ... :)

Southwest Airlines makes bid to buy Frontier

Reuters: Frontier deal could create risks for Southwest

Dallas Morning News Airline Blog: SWA Execs answer questions @ Frontier bid

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot

Bad news: I guess now even SWA will now have to put up w/ the Airbus ...
:)

Maybe they could trade them to the Navy and Air Force as the soon-to-be-announced "P-9" and "KA320" programs and get some nice P-8s and C-40s in return... Cash for Clunkers for the airlines and everybody wins! :icon_smil

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Bet you could buy some A318s real cheap if SWA buys Frontier

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I'd bet the A-Busses don't stick around long if the deal goes thru. Southwest's bread and butter is the 737.... thats an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it/dance with the one that brought ya" type deal

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Doesn't 113.6 million seem a little on the light side? Wouldn't the value of the ~50 A/C be worth several times as much as that figure?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Doesn't 113.6 million seem a little on the light side? Wouldn't the value of the ~50 A/C be worth several times as much as that figure?

I suspect it's a 'tactical ploy' to bump the current Republic Holdings offer and allow time to get down to more substantive, detailed negotiations ... just a WAG.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor

No. In their last filing Frontier had $507mm of debt. They have negative equity ($94mm).

If Southwest buys Frontier, they inherit their debt too.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot

Most airlines don't actually own their airplanes, they lease them or have them financed for the long term.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Frontier owns 15 of their Airbuses. As I understand, the debt will be paid off by "drum roll" selling off Airbuses or by allowing the leases to expire. As they sell off the Airbus, the employees affected will be allowed to interview at SWA. Traditionally, SWA has absorbed the employees at the bottom of the seniority list but they will maintain their current Frontier pay until their SWA pay supersedes it. Yes they will lose seniority but they will gain job security without losing any pay. The acquisition details have not been revealed, I'm merely speculating given SWA history.