• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to live in NAS Pensacola?

Conaway

I'm applying to Marine OCS with hopes of a flight contract for 18's. I spoke with a Lt.Col. who suggested to live on base, mainly to divert myself from distractions. Seeing as how I'd have one shot to make it through PFI I shouldn't take any chances. Anyway, I'm curious to know if most people live in houses, apts or on base?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Conaway said:
I'm applying to Marine OCS with hopes of a flight contract for 18's. I spoke with a Lt.Col. who suggested to live on base, mainly to divert myself from distractions. Seeing as how I'd have one shot to make it through PFI I shouldn't take any chances. Anyway, I'm curious to know if most people live in houses, apts or on base?

First of all, good luck with the process. I hope you get in and get what you want.

As to where you should live in flight school, I should point out that you're worrying about step #598 in a 10,000 step process when you're on step #2. You might want to hit the alligators a little closer to the canoe.

That said, IN GENERAL, living off base is better than living on base. I have done both several times, and in fact am kind of doing both at the moment (long story). You can concentrate and study well in either place if you want to just as easily either way.

Good luck!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Conaway said:
I'm applying to Marine OCS with hopes of a flight contract for 18's.
They have those? You better keep that little nugget a secret then.

Conaway said:
I spoke with a Lt.Col. who suggested to live on base, mainly to divert myself from distractions. Seeing as how I'd have one shot to make it through PFI I shouldn't take any chances. Anyway, I'm curious to know if most people live in houses, apts or on base?
First, I don't know if you're hoping for NFO or pilot, but if you're looking at being a pilot, you do NOT want to live on NAS Pensacola. Flight training for pilots does not happen there and it's quite a commute to where it does happen. Second, I recommend living off base if you can swing it. Find a few roomates. By the time you get through TBS, you'll have plenty of friends you'll want to get a place together with. Contrary to what the good Lt.Col said, it is good to have distractions. In the military, it is very easy to get wrapped around your work and forget to chill out. Having a place out in town allows you to get away and just relax. Having a place with a bunch of guys you met in OCS or TBS has the potential of being a lot of fun. Just about every person you run into down there is going to be committed to getting through the program. So I wouldn't worry too much about other guys taking you down the wrong path. Actually, they'll help you succeed.

Conaway

Harrier Dude said:
First of all, good luck with the process. I hope you get in and get what you want.

As to where you should live in flight school, I should point out that you're worrying about step #598 in a 10,000 step process when you're on step #2. You might want to hit the alligators a little closer to the canoe.

That said, IN GENERAL, living off base is better than living on base. I have done both several times, and in fact am kind of doing both at the moment (long story). You can concentrate and study well in either place if you want to just as easily either way.

Good luck!

Ya, you're right. I am getting a little ahead of myself, but the question came to mind so I didn't see any harm in asking it. Thanks for the advice though. Anything else you could tell me would be great.

Conaway

Steve Wilkins said:
They have those? You better keep that little nugget a secret then.

First, I don't know if you're hoping for NFO or pilot, but if you're looking at being a pilot, you do NOT want to live on NAS Pensacola. Flight training for pilots does not happen there and it's quite a commute to where it does happen. Second, I recommend living off base if you can swing it. Find a few roomates. By the time you get through TBS, you'll have plenty of friends you'll want to get a place together with. Contrary to what the good Lt.Col said, it is good to have distractions. In the military, it is very easy to get wrapped around your work and forget to chill out. Having a place out in town allows you to get away and just relax. Having a place with a bunch of guys you met in OCS or TBS has the potential of being a lot of fun. Just about every person you run into down there is going to be committed to getting through the program. So I wouldn't worry too much about other guys taking you down the wrong path. Actually, they'll help you succeed.

Well, my statement was a little misleading. I didn't mean a contract for 18's, just for air. 18's is what I want.

About living situations, that's good advice, thanks. If anyone else wants to add anything, that would be good too.

GMan1976

Banned
Governors Gate is a good place to live once you get closer to API time (after marine OCS, and TBS in Quantico, and whatnot). It's nicknamed NAS Governors Gate because it's like 70% military (and the other 30% are UWF students..heh heh). It's 20 mins from NAS Pcola and 20 mins from Whiting Field.... I dunno... I like it... it's ok I guess.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Conaway said:
Well, my statement was a little misleading. I didn't mean a contract for 18's, just for air. 18's is what I want.

Sounds like the right attitude anyway, which is step #1 through flight school...good luck.