• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to do IFS

gdd05

Ok...This is directed at the guys who did IFS in P'cola. How was it? I have heard some stories to the effect that it pretty much sucked.

I may have the opportunity to change my orders and get to P'cola at the end of August. However, this would not leave me enough time to finish IFS here in College Station, Tx because I don't get my commission until August 11th. Just throw out some pros/cons on IFS in P'cola.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did IFS out of Destin while in Pcola. Paid lots in gas, long commute, but freakin sweet scenery and good training (very very busy airspace).

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Just realize that IFS will take time and will probably be backed up. So if you can, get it done before you get here. It will push API at least 2 more months back if you show without IFS done.

The only complaints I have heard is getting it started (a pain getting all the paperwork, medical, etc. completed). I havnt heard any negatives about the actual flying.

I'm doing it out of Eglin AFB right now and it rocks. I've got my check ride tomorrow and solo on Monday. I just finished ground school last Friday. My instructor is awesome and expects a lot. Flying out of Eglin, and the airspace as Fly said, is freaking busy. But man, what a great experience. I couldn't be happier with my IFS experience thusfar. Should finish by next weekend.

-jai5w4

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I did IFS at Pcola Regional. Never had any problems whatsoever, and friends of mine who did it in the area never mentioned anything about it sucking. Just curious why people say it sucked so much. You're getting 25 free hours, whats not to love?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
IFS at Destin is awesome... laid back instructors, great flying, good training in a very comms-heavy (for IFS) environment... plus you can't beat dodging banner towers that come bombing through the pattern.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok...This is directed at the guys who did IFS in P'cola. How was it? I have heard some stories to the effect that it pretty much sucked.

I may have the opportunity to change my orders and get to P'cola at the end of August. However, this would not leave me enough time to finish IFS here in College Station, Tx because I don't get my commission until August 11th. Just throw out some pros/cons on IFS in P'cola.

I got my private certificate out of Easterwood and had a blast doing it. I can't comment about doing IFS since I didn't go through that particular program, but for me flying around TX was a lot of fun. If I were you I'd stay where you are and get done before heading to API.

gdd05

What I mean by sucking is basically what you guys have already pointed out...that the airspace is full and that it takes longer because more students. I haven't made my decision yet but thanks for the info. On one hand I want to get out to P'cola ASAP...on the other I want to get IFS done before I get there so I don't have to deal with all the hassle.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
What I mean by sucking is basically what you guys have already pointed out...that the airspace is full and that it takes longer because more students. I haven't made my decision yet but thanks for the info. On one hand I want to get out to P'cola ASAP...on the other I want to get IFS done before I get there so I don't have to deal with all the hassle.

Learning in a busy environment is actually good. The airspace around Pcola was never too bad when I did IFS there. The 2 practice areas we used were never clobbered with other aircraft. Learning to talk on the radios in a busy environment helps. The tower freqs at Corpus and Whiting get pretty crazy sometimes, and if you've already had some practice you'll be more comfortable.

On the other hand, the dude at Easterwood Tower when I flew through there on my XC was a riot. Definitely had the most personality of any controller I've talked to.

todd740

Trogdor comes in the NIIIIIGHT!!!
pilot
I commission on the 11th as well and I am going to try and do it up here in Minneapolis. I have a buddy down there right now and it's about a 2 month wait just to start IFS. The plus side is all he has to do is sit on the beach.

navychick

Assuming that I get in as either NA or NFO, I am set to be in Pcola for IFS because I commission on Jan 6. I cant do IFS near my school because of the weather at that time. How busy is it around Jan time for people pouring in for flight school? I know that Summer time is pretty busy because of all the May/June grads, but is Jan pretty busy too?

RADO 18T

Kick-Ass
I commission on the 11th as well and I am going to try and do it up here in Minneapolis. I have a buddy down there right now and it's about a 2 month wait just to start IFS. The plus side is all he has to do is sit on the beach.

Hey homo. It's me "CB" from nrotc. Yes...try to do it in Mlps. Otherwise, you'll be #545 out of 546 waiting to start IFS. Aint nuttin bad about waiting. But it gets kinda boring after awhile bc you wanna get started. It sucks when the ppl you checked in with are in Advanced while youre still waiting to start Primary:(

See you in August biatch :D

GDD05: I did IFS at AMS Milton. AWESOME instructors. Busy airspace with Whiting Field being right there. But once you get to the beach, life is great. The instructors made flying so fun. The only thing that sucks is the drive. About 45 mins from NAS.

RADO 18T

Kick-Ass
Assuming that I get in as either NA or NFO, I am set to be in Pcola for IFS because I commission on Jan 6. I cant do IFS near my school because of the weather at that time. How busy is it around Jan time for people pouring in for flight school? I know that Summer time is pretty busy because of all the May/June grads, but is Jan pretty busy too?

Expect a wait. How long you will wait is a question which will continue to plague man for future centuries. Just ask the IFS office once you get down here.