• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where do helos go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thumper

I am in IFS and I have been thinking helos might be the way to go. Part of the attraction (a small, but important reason) is that helos seem to be based out of a variety of locations (more so than other airframes). Could some current helo guys provide some information on squadron homeports and detatchment duty stations? Also, what sort of assignments can a helo pilot expect during the first sea, first shore, and second sea tour (disassociated?). Any information is greatly appriciated.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Some of this info can be found by doing a search, but here's the basics:

Out of the HTs, you go to the RAGs. I'll just talk about the Navy side of the house, since that's what I know. I'll list the RAG location and homeports. The HC stuff I'm a bit fuzzy on just because things are changing right now, but you'll get the idea. Your choices are:

HS (carriers, SH-60F) RAG: San Digeo. HP: NAS Jax, San Dog, Atsugi
HSL (Small boys..for now, SH-60B) RAG: San Diego, Mayport. HP: San Dog, Mayport, Atsugi
HC (Amphibs or supply ships, CH-60S) RAG: San Diego. HP: San Diego, Norfolk, Guam.
HC (Shore, CH-53E) RAG: North Carolina or Norfolk (not sure what they're doing now). HP: Anyone? Norfolk and Italy, I think.
HM (Shore, CH-53E) RAG: Same as above. HP: Corpus or Norfolk
HC (Shore, SH-3) Don't know if you can still get this, but HP is Norfolk.

I have a felling I'm forgetting something, but you get the idea.

thumper

Thanks, Gatordev. That is basically what I was looking for. I have searched for it, and got some of that info, but I wanted some first hand stuff. What about the second sea tour for helos? Is it the same as for fixed wing-LSO or whatever?

Thanks

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Basically, yeah. Obviously there are some areas that they don't want to send you to (like being an advanced instructor in the VTs), but people still make it there. Otherwise, it's pretty open like the other communities. The usuals are:

Staff weenie
VTs
HTs
FRSs
ROTC

Obviously there are others, but those are the routine ones.

Damn, I just reread your post, you said second SEA tour. Oops, well, for HSL, it usually involves a tour on an amphib of some sort, and then you go back to an HSL squadron to become a dept head and OIC. Others will have to comment on other communities.

Status
Not open for further replies.