• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where an Electronics Engineer fits in the Navy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedro_vargas

I am an electronics engineer, I am currently enlisted and I want to apply to ocs to work for the Navy as an Officer. I have been trying to obtain information from recruiters and from my command, however nobody seems to know exactly what community would be the most appropiate to work closely with electronics. Some people say that Criptology would be a good option but I was thinking that there should be a designator more closely related to the electronics involved in aviation, or radar communications.
If you guys have any knowledge, information or reference for me to decide I ould greatly appreciate it.

perchul

well here the thing, as far as actual engineering and programming most of the developmental stuff is done by big contractors (eg. Raytheon, Lockheed, Grumman) and to my knowledge the military oversight of that stuff is done my 0-4's, o-5's, and 0-6's and thats where you can be of most use. Seeing that you don't start as an o-4 I really don't know what to tell you other then have the navy teach you another skill in the meantime as an officer and your background will help you out later on. I could be completely wrong about my idea here seeing its just something I've formulated on my own from what I've observed. In which case someone will be more then happy to correct me.

perchul

Oh and I'm assuming you mean you have an electrical engineering degree, I'm not really familiar with electronic engineering as far as a field of academic study

Dupe

Dude...Join the AF. They're drooling over electrical engineers. As an added bonus, you get to be in the Air Force.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Take a look at LDO or CWO. You can stay very close to Navy electronics at the deck plate level. LDO is your first best opportunity. If you want to go CWO you have to make E-7 first.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Take a look at LDO or CWO. You can stay very close to Navy electronics at the deck plate level. LDO is your first best opportunity. If you want to go CWO you have to make E-7 first.

Status
Not open for further replies.