• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When the the turn goes poorly...

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Very 60 specific, but trying to do a cross-bleed start with the rotor brake on. Also seen a student try to take off at flight idle.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I've always thought of duty pilot as the best chance to fuck something up royally due to inattention or complacency. Often thankless, mindless, and boring; usually at weird hours when you're nice and tired and perfectly set up to suck an intake cover down a motor or forget to set a brake during a max power check.

As for the OP, they almost made the off ramp. Almost!

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I've always thought of duty pilot as the best chance to fuck something up royally due to inattention or complacency. Often thankless, mindless, and boring; usually at weird hours when you're nice and tired and perfectly set up to suck an intake cover down a motor or forget to set a brake during a max power check.

As for the OP, they almost made the off ramp. Almost!

I can't believe there aren't more mishaps from turns. So much can go wrong so quickly and when you're as tired as you can be doing them it only compounds it.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I can't believe there aren't more mishaps from turns. So much can go wrong so quickly and when you're as tired as you can be doing them it only compounds it.

Tired and pissed off...maybe hung over.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Th Army lost some people about 10 years ago. Tie downs not removed. Gust lock was engaged. Engine started and moved to FLY. Gust lock broke off, rotors started turning. Pilots not strapped in and doors open. Tie downs still on caused aircraft to buck and throw one pilot partially out of aircraft as rotors broke free and started turning. Aircraft flipped over and crushed one pilot. Other pilot hurt badly (I think).

I must confess to blowing an APU cover across the ramp once. It is easy to get distracted while preflighting if the maintainers are still out working on the aircraft and asking you questions. I have also blown an inlet bleed air plug (that was not tightened down enough) across the ramp during a a high speed shaft balance.

As scoolbubba says, it is easy to scew it up if you aren't paying attention or are distracted.