• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

when is the best time to re-apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskeeters30

I applied back in November for an NFO spot but was turned down. My recruiter insisted that it would be a good idea to put down an alternate choice "just in case." (just in case he's reading this, he was very straight forward in telling me that there was no guarantee of getting NFO when I submitted my packet). I was accepted for my alternate choice (supply) but decided to decline OCS as I was only interested in one of the aviation designators. Two weeks ago I decided to enlist as aircrew hoping to possibly be accepted for an aviation officer spot later. My leave date is not scheduled until 15 Dec 2003 and I'm curious as to whether or not it would be worth the effort to re-submit my package before then.
My scores were OAR 58, FOFAR 7, PFAR 7, AQR 7 and my GPA is 2.95/4.00, PRT scores (1.5 run- 9:05, 70 push-ups, 101 curl-ups). I spoke with one of the other officer recruiters in mid-April who told me he wouldn't submit my paperwork as he didn't think my GPA was competitive enough unless is was around a 3.3.

Crowbar

None
I am not and never have been in the Navy, but I just want to toss my opinion out on PART of this topic. Like I said, since I've never been in the Navy, I won't comment on why you chose to decline OCS, or should you enlist, or anything of that nature. I just want to talk about

I spoke with one of the other officer recruiters in mid-April who told me he wouldn't submit my paperwork as he didn't think my GPA was competitive enough unless is was around a 3.3.

I hate to be the one to break it to your recruiter, but he/she does not know what each board will select. Anyone else who has been through the process will agree that NOBODY knows who will get selected until the official results are released. Sure, recruiters might have a better idea, but the whole "I won't submit your package" is reason enough for that person to be kicked right in the sack. It's not his/her life that's being screwed around with. Submit it, and let the board decide! I don't know about the whole "professional recommendation" thing I've heard tossed around here, and maybe he's saying that you will not get recommended. If that is the case, then that is what he should say, not "You're not competitive enough".

After I got into my commissioning program, I went round and round with our squadron education officer (a 1stLt) because he told another Marine that I worked with that "I won't submit your package because you're not competitive." When I paraded into his office and told him that he does not make that call, then he said "Well, the CO won't recommend him." I asked to hear that from the CO. He told me no, I didn't have to hear it because that's what the order said. "Where does it say that, sir?" He got all pissy and told me to show him where it said that this Marine met the minimum requirements and was therefore eligible for the program. I did. He shut up.

So what I'm getting at is, don't take some recruiter's opinion that you MIGHT NOT get selected for fact. Try it. What are you out if you don't get in? Nothing. What if you do get in? GOOD LUCK!

dskeeters30

Crowbar,
thanks for the advice. I've actually moved into a different recruting district since my last application was processed so I'll probably try talking to a new recruiter within the next couple of weeks. With the beginning of FY 04 approaching I'm hoping that my odds will be somewhat better than they might've been in April/May during the final quarter of FY 03. Any thoughts on this or if the timing might have any effect would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.