• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When during API do you...

Navyfan06

pilot
I was wondering when during API do you find out where you will be going for primary flight training? Or do you find out before API? Thanks alot for your time!

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
You find out when you start API what wing you will be going to.

Navyfan06

pilot
Matt - Thanks for the quick response, I was wondering also if you are allowed to list preferences ? I know everything is needs of the navy, but do they take anything into account when sending you to primary? Thanks

VAmookie

at what point can you request Whiting Field or Corpus or AF? Would be nice to know how long one can expect to stay in a given area when looking at places to rent/buy

On that note, does anyone have anything to say about the Bay Point community? Is it mostly townhouses, or is there a little bit of everything. Is it pretty nice, spendy, easy commute to both NASP and whiting field?

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
When you first check in you fill out a sheet of preferences (amongst other sheets) for what wing you want. Right now most people are getting what they want, but they are having to wait for the right slot to open up. However, nothing is guaranteed.

As for the leases for rent, you could get one close to base and break it when you finish api (just make sure to check with they people you are renting from) and get orders elsewhere (most will still allow you to break a lease if you live near the back gate and then go to whiting- like I said, just be sure to ask).

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
People have talked about the lease issue here before. Some landlords will break it if you get follow on orders to Whiting, like Matt said, but all must if you go to Corpus (unless you sign a waiver saying you won't when you sign the lease, but why would you?). Apparently there is a law stating that military service memebers and spouses can break a lease if PCS orders are given to a new location 50 miles or greater from your base of origin. The official name of it and wording were linked on AW around here like 6 months ago, I can't find it right now. Unfortunately, P'cola to Whiting doesn't technically fall into that, but alot of landlords in P'cola are pretty understanding of the military lifestyle, and know that they will quickly fill their spots by the back gate. Just make sure you talk to them about it before signing anything. Getting something on paper never hurts either.

Edit: It's called the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, Revised 2003, Section 305, Termination of Leases.
Found this online:
"Another significant change provided in the SCRA, is found in Section 305. The prior law only allowed the termination of pre-service "dwelling, professional, business, agricultural, or similar" leases. The new provision in the SCRA allows termination of leases by active duty servicemembers who subsequently receive orders for a permanent change of station (PCS) or a deployment for a period of 90 days or more."

So I guess it's technically any PCS orders. I didn't see the official "Revised in 2003" copy of the SCRA though. For some reason 50 miles sticks out in my head.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
To clarify, the SCRA says it can be done, but it does not mandate participation by the leaser. They could not have a "military clause" in their lease, and it's perfectly legal. In reality, they know that won't fly, so generally there's always some form of one. Again, the "50 miles" is what the landlords tend to put in contracts in P'cola, if they do, since they know you could get orders down the road. It's not part of the SCRA per se.

usnphoenix

Remove before flight
pilot
gatordev said:
To clarify, the SCRA says it can be done, but it does not mandate participation by the leaser. They could not have a "military clause" in their lease, and it's perfectly legal.

My landlord told me it was a state law in Florida when i asked about the military clause in my lease.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hmm, could be, haven't rented in FL for several years. One more thing working for you then.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
alabama_matt said:
When you first check in you fill out a sheet of preferences (amongst other sheets) for what wing you want. Right now most people are getting what they want, but they are having to wait for the right slot to open up. However, nothing is guaranteed.
For example, two of my friends both got volun-told they're going to Vance AFB for Primary, which kind of ruined their day. Keep an open mind about it, though; I had another buddy from school who really liked Vance and he's flying P-3s now (take that for what you will).