• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When do you choose marine or navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFuqua86

do you decide when you first join whether your doing navy option or marine option or is it something that you decide after a few years

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
If i remember correctly, on the NROTC application, you can choose whether you want to apply for a navy scholarship or a marine scholarship (when I applied, I was told that the chances were better to get a navy scholarship since the marine corps had a smaller number available). You can also apply to "switch over" from a navy option to a marine option until the end of your junior year in college if you decide you want to be a marine later on.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
DFuqua86 said:
do you decide when you first join whether your doing navy option or marine option or is it something that you decide after a few years

You choose what option you are going to be before even setting foot onto the college campus. You can always change your option back and forth while in the programs. Obviously, I wouldn't change more than once! It is also best to figure out what you want to be ASAP because you have to take certain classes for Navy and Marine option. There are more requirements to fulfill for the Navy side as far as academics are concerned. As for the Marines...well....you have to get ready for OCS after your junior year. Decide early!

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can also switch very early in your senior year. A guy at my unit just did that. He goes to OCS this summer after he graduates and won't get commissioned till August when he finishes OCS. Granted it's probably very difficult to do what he did and he's probably the exception rather than the rule.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can decide to switch to Marine Option at anytime prior to commissioning. The best time to do it is prior to your junior year. That's when the Naval Science classes split and the summer training cruises are different. For the most part Navy and MC take the same classes until the Junior year.

As others have said, the Marine Corps 4 year scholarships are very limited and it is easier to get a Navy scholarship and then switch over to MC. If you truly want a MC scholarship, you must be a PT stud for starters (>250 on your PFT).

Good luck!
ea6bflyr ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.