• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When do you choose a major?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Integer

Banned
This question is really bugging me, since I realized I wasn't sure even after all the research I've been doing.
icon_smile_shock.gif
icon_smile_shy.gif

shake_125.gif

Do you choose it when you apply, do you choose it when you get there, or do you choose it after plebe summer, or do you choose it after taking the same core classes your first year, etc.? Do you list top three choices and then they tell you which one they have room for, if they accept you
icon_smile_question.gif

Are there majors that are underfilled some times? Will they accomodate whatever major you choose (even if next year, a popular major is no longer popular) by hiring different professors?
banghead_125.gif
How does it work? Thanks.
smgreen_125.gif

I'd like to know asap
turtle_125.gif
, but I wanted to see what AW has to say, before I spend weeks researching every question.
sonar_125.gif

quickandsure

Major is declared at end of first year. It is changeable, usually engineering majors opting out to PolySCi major, some by choice other by ""suggestion"". There are about approximately, i would guess, 15 majors to choose from, and there is no problem selecting any one that you want from that is available. Recommend getting the cat and reading cover to cover. Know what you are getting.

See www.usna.edu

room5047

hey integer --

the short answer to your question is, most mids will declare the major at the beginning of their third-class (sophomore) year. for most mids, the entire plebe year curriculum is the same core - chemistry, calculus, naval heritage, western civ I and II, english, and pe. however, if you validate out of courses by exam (during plebe summer) or with AP credits, you might be able to declare earlier. i started the history major in second semester of plebe year because i had some free elective credits in place of required courses.

as for the choice, it's not AT ALL like service assignment. i can't see any reason why you would not get the major that you choose with your academic advisor. (staffing is not a problem in any major, since half the faculty are naval officers assigned to USNA duty.) in fact, i've known plenty of classmates that switched majors along the way. there are no quotas or caps. obviously, hard sciences and engineering departments are popular, but there are plenty of people lining up for "bull majors" (poli sci, english, history, and econ) too. the navy will tell you how to do a lot of things for the rest of your career, but much of the academic course at USNA is up to you.

btw, if you can, i'd suggest to everyone interested in USNA to get their hands on a copy of "reef points", the plebe gouge bible. not only will it get you a head start on memorization, but it's got random guidance on matters just like this.

show me your WAARRRR face!

heerothewizard

Good advice. I've been looking for Reef Points for a while now, and can't find it. Does anybody know a good place to get it?
Thanks

<------->

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!

room5047

This is from a USNA parent's club website:

Get a copy of Reef Points (available from the USNA Visitor Center Gift Shop 800-778-4260 or Naval Institute 800-233-8764).

unfortunately, neither of those guys' websites lists reef points. amazon.com lists it, but apparently can't get it. i'd say try the numbers, cuz i know they sell copies out of the store on the academy yard.

show me your WAARRRR face!

quickandsure

Try but it is not supposed to be sold in Visitors Center nor Naval Institute.

It is intended to guide Mids throughout their four year on the Yard. It is given to Plebe's on I-day. It is available at the Mid's store on the Yard. All purchases from the Mid store are limited to authorized personnel.

You need a copy of the catalog as it is very similar to the structe and content of catalogs published by other Universities.

I have a copy of Reef Points as well as the catalog if you have specific questions that I might look up for you.

I looked up Majors: There are 18 in three groups. Did you want the list?

Integer

Banned
Awesome! Thanks again. I found what majors are offered on their web site. The reason I was asking my original question is because I am already in a community college for Engineering right now, and my major is Computer Science. I will have an Associates in Science degree by May. I was just wondering if I were accepted, if I would have to take computer science again or be able to switch majors. But since there is a core group of classes you take your first year, I wouldn't even have to worry about that question, nor would I mind retaking everything over again. But I would probably stay in CS. It's just that thinking about the USNA is giving me "inner excitement" that I had never felt about any other four year college (I've felt apprehension instead!) The USNA is my motivation to train every day and finish community college.

Do you know of any students like me who are in the USNA? I was a 3.0 GPA student in high school. I was afraid/not knowledgeable enough to apply for scholarships, and I had no calling for any four year schools. I look at the honors and activities list on the site (http://www.usna.edu/profile.htm), and I was elected student president (school of 5,000+ students); club president twice; newspaper founder and contributor; varsity athletics (+ most improved + sportsmanship awards); varsity letter; all three of drama, public speaking, and debate. Of course many other things not listed on that list. But basically, I only have a GPA of 3.0 at a community college. I did have 4 jobs at the same time. I'm willing to give it all up to attend the USNA and focus 100% on academics and athletics, leadership and involvement but without working/volunteering 30+ hours a week. I'm not saying the USNA for the free tuition, but those are 30 hours I could use for something else like studying more. Are there students like me? Believe me, I don't train every day for the fun of it (but it is fun :)) and I know I am serious about wanting to be in the USNA. So, thanks for the replies :) I have a desire for USNA that I've never ever felt for any other college, which is why I'm attending community college.

quickandsure

Yes, I have known students at USNA in your situation. But again, contact the USNA Guidance center for the straight scoop. We all try but seldom get it all correct, as things change.

It takes four years to graduate from the Academy, regardless of degress or "credits" you may have when you enter.

You will be given the opportunity to validate courses to gain advanced academic standing. You can use these "credits" for validated course in either of two ways.

1. take a lighter than normal "load" throughout the years to spend more time in study and preparation with the objective of improving your OOM (order of merit) or class standing.

2. Get your masters from a nearby civilian university such as Johns Hopkins. VGEP will allow you to enroll in your senior year and complete a masters within 9 months of graduation from USNA.

Your OOM consists of GPA, military performance, conduct and etc. It determines your graduation class standing. If you are number on in the class, you get to choose anything that is available, that you are PQ'd. And so down the line in class standing order until all the available slots are taken. Said another way, if the Navy has 100 slots for SNA, the first 100 in class standing order that choose SNA will get SNA, if PQ'd.

If you excell in any sport, baseball, crew, football, basketball, sailing, and etc., indeed contact that coach at the USNA. It can possibly help.

There is no better choice than USNA.

BTW: USNA has over 22 computer science courses from which to choose!

GO NAVY!

Integer

Banned
Updates
--------

Since February, I have lost 35 pounds and am in the shape I was in high school when I played sports. My new SAT score is now 1360. And, I am hoping for As or A-'s in my classes this semester. I have excellent letters from a professor and employer.

The only hitch so far was when I asked the President to write me a recommendation letter. I wrote to him that it was okay whether he wanted write me a letter or not. Well, I was hoping to get one on account of my service to the college, not my GPA, but he pulled my transcript and said that he wouldn't feel confident in writing a letter for me for the Naval Academy since it is competitive to get in and requires a lot of work once inside. He doesn't even know me, but wrote to me that it is not for me but he would consider writing a letter of recommendation for other colleges.(?!)

Besides the fact that NA is my only choice and I will attend a state school otherwise, I'm still the same exact person, so what difference is it to him which college he writes one for??

It sucks that he looked at my last year's grades (which weren't excellent since I concentrated on improving and serving his college!). I plan on writing a thank-you-anyway letter, but inform him I raised my SATs, got in the best shape of my life, getting A's, still volunteering, and that I only spoke English for 10 years and I have a higher English score than most students do (he used to be an English teacher.) And that I was an A student/ high achiever ALL OF MY LIFE, except for mid-high school until last year. And, I doubt he knows that I got into a private college out of high school but chose to attend his community college. I think I will basically just quickly inform him of the above and tell him to expect another request in a year from now, as I will reapply again if I don't get in this year :)

Heck, the way I look at it, 1500 of 14000 students were offered appointment last year, that's a solid 10.7% chance of getting in.

11%, I like those odds :) Come on, am I right people?
graduate_125.gif

I definitely respect that he took his time to read my request and replied back, and he is right about grades, but pulling my transcript and reading antiquated when I didn't authorize them? I never considered he would do that :)

Other than that small vent, I'm definitely on track. I just hope admissions notices :)

Ray

I'd say SAT scores have more impact than most grades. I'd just find someone else to write you a letter. The prez of a community school doesn't carry lots of weight anyway. BTW, I'd like to shamelessly plug the EE dept. I had an awsome time in that major. It was hard, but the teachers and facilities are superb.

clubjdh

First off, I apologize if some of what I say has been said before, or you already knew it, but I'll go ahead and cover what I can about the questions asked and add a little common sense from actually being there and finishing.

There isn't a bad major at the Academy. Period. I don't care what people say, that a Group I (engineering) major will help you become a better pilot, or that CompSci majors are getting offered 100k+ starting salaries by Microsoft. It's really about what you are the most interested, and what you know you will do well in. Personally, I started as an Aerospace Engineering major until I decided it was too boring for me, and that number crunching was for the birds. So I switched to History, and absolutely loved it. Did it hurt for service selection? Not at all. In fact, I think it helped me become more articulate and able to dissect complex problems and use past examples to create solutions. And once you get to flight school, if that's what your goal is, the amount of schooling you have will help immensely...I completed primary as the #1 Marine in the 5 primary squadrons (remember, I was a History major), had over a 70 NSS, and easily got jets.

Getting there is the hard part. From what it sounds like, you are on the right path with having letters of recommendation written. Don't aimlessly try to get people to write recommendations for you just because you know how to write them. Try to get involved in some sort of local political activity if you can. I worked on my Congressman's re-election campaign, and when it was time to get some help, he definitely "scratched my back". Also, people in the military or once in the military with a relatively high rank (0-4/E-7 at a min) will help, since the Boards at the Academy are primarily (suprise!) military.

In regards to extracurriculars, you are obviously spreading yourself thin, which is good and bad. Its good because they will see you know how to manage time, but what they want is people who excel, not people that are just so-so. If you have to drop something to be a rockstar in something else, I would highly recommend it. The sports aspect will help hugely. The Athletic Department gets admissions packets sent to them on people they want BEFORE the Academic one does, and normally if they want somebody and they sign off on them, they are a huge step inside the door. The other stuff, like VGEPping or other post-grad information isn't really needed until you are done with plebe year, and that's a long way off still.

Obviously, you are seeing that its a tough school to get into, and it should be. It takes a special person to get into USNA, and all the pain is worth it in the end. If you have any questions, please post them or PM me, and I'll get back to you. Good luck!

Integer

Banned
The reason I did 10+ clubs and a sport in high school was because I felt that my academics were good (at the time), but that I really needed and wanted to become less shy and able to strike up conversations with anybody. I think I've succeeded, and now of course academics are what I've gone back to working on.

Academics and Art were my "rock star" things, but I put those off recently (until this year) to work on my weaknesses and make myself more well-rounded. You know? So although I am now at my personal best ever, and my knowledge and talents didn't magically dissapear from me, on the transcript they did, and they now look like my weaknesses, lol!!!! So now I am getting good grades again. However, I think I made the right decision--I am not blaming myself for taking that opportunity to put schoolwork on hold and help out my community and benefit from the experiences.

When I was good at academics, I did my work without help from my parents, friends, classmates, or tutors. Although I learned a lot (obviously, since I did everything myself), I was missing out on teamwork. (Plus, concentrating on myself felt selfish.)

I found out when I started high school that they placed a big emphasis on teamwork, and I enjoyed working in groups or pairs in my high school classes every day, while doing my own homework and essays at home.

I wanted to take it a step further, so by the time I graduated, I was active in about twelve clubs. In college, I took it a step further.

There is only so much time in a day and so many years in one human's life to take advantage of opportunities, like becoming a very active student body president of a college... even if that meant my grades were slipping and I 'wasted' a couple of thousand dollars... (had to drop some classes.) Where else would I have gotten that leadership experience? (I did not know of the USNA back then.) Thanks to my hard work, I don't even have one ounce of shyness anymore, which means I can communicate exactly what I mean to my teammates, coworkers, professors, and as a leader. It's great!

Anyway, the military and the USNA seems like a perfect choice for my goals and mindset. Since learning about it early this year, I am still running regularly, raising my grades, raising my SAT score, and volunteering only 1 hour a week and working 20 hours a week instead of 25-30.

I would probably continue Computer Science in the USNA, and probably try to get NFO.

Thanks to all, and to your free will to spend a few minutes of your own time to answer my questions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.