• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When do you apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireval

I am looking into being in NROTC while I am in college, but i had a few questions. When do you apply for a pilot or NFO slot for the navy or the marines? I am guessing it is around the end of Sophmore year or the beginning of junior year. Can you apply to both? How long does it take to find out if you are in? Thanks a lot.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Service selection (choosing Pilot, NFO, SWO, etc) is usually done at the beginning (Fall Semester) of senior year.

You fill out forms and rank your choices and then some magic happens elsewhere and you get word months later as to whether or not you got your first choice.

Marines might be a little earlier since they can get guaranteed aviation.

fireval

Thanks for the response, penn. Can you apply to mavy and marines at the same time? In the navy, is the service selection you talked about done after you sign the paper agreeing to be in the navy for whatever time limit? If I choose to go to OCS instead of NROTC is it done after OCS? Its not that I would change my mind about being in the navy if I do not get pilot for NFO, I am just curious. Thanks.

pennst8

Contributor
I'm pretty sure you can apply for both scholarships but you can only accept one.

As far as when you're obligated, if you're on NROTC scholarship you sign on the dotted line after sophomore year. Service selection is two years later (senior year), so yes you could end up owing time to the navy and not get aviation. Service selection depends on a lot of factors including how competitive you make yourself for the number of available aviation slots.

If you go to OCS you're already designated to go pilot, nfo, swo, nuke, etc... you know before you even get there what's in store for you afterwards. Other people will be able to explain this better, I don't know a lot about OCS.

FYI Its easier to get a flight slot out of NROTC than it is OCS right now, at least on the Navy side. If you want to wear green then they'll promise you flight as soon as you get the minimum scores on the ASTB.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
fireval said:
Thanks for the response, penn. Can you apply to mavy and marines at the same time? In the navy, is the service selection you talked about done after you sign the paper agreeing to be in the navy for whatever time limit? If I choose to go to OCS instead of NROTC is it done after OCS? Its not that I would change my mind about being in the navy if I do not get pilot for NFO, I am just curious. Thanks.

Big thing to think about b4 you sign on the dotted line. "Do I want to be a Naval Officer?" If the answer to that question is yes sign... but if the answer is "I want to be a Naval Officer only if I can fly." Then don't sign.

If you are looking for guanrautee (god I can't spell), Air National Guard, Army Warrant Program or the marine Corps all will.

Good luck

palatinexc

Student
fireval said:
Can you apply to mavy and marines at the same time?
Not for NROTC scholorship. When you apply it says you can only apply for one, since you can only have one application per social security number. I think that once you are in NROTC you can switch from one to the other.

confused_pilot

i applied about this time in my senior year... it was really late but with a 4.5GPA and a 1400 SAT ... I had some good number behind me and I was selected @ the first board my package was up for.. its never too late.... you can only apply for the navy or the daughter service at one time... but you can transfer between the navy to marines if you want... going to the navy from the marines I am no so sure, it can be done.. but I think its harder

Reactions: bch

adam28270

NROTC vs. OCS

I will try to clarify this for you. You put in your service selection packet, early senior year and find out later where you go when you graduate. As for going marine aviation through ROTC you have to get accepted as a marine option midn, which is harder than just becoming a regular navy option. Plus you have to decide early on whether to go marines or not, since your 1st class cruise (between junior and senior year) is spent at "bull dog" or a marine OCS for MIDN. So the benifits of going ROTC as opposed to navy OCS are:
1. The education is much better (and possibly free).
2. The assets you have there to help you make your decision are so much better than any recruiting station or reserve center.
- each unit is required to have atleast one person for each field of the
navy, ie: subs, aviation, surface, marines, and they are always willing to help you.
3. You actually get to spend time with the fleet at sea during your summers, helping you decide what you want to do. you can read more into that on the NROTC website.
4. NROTC midn are being trained as "unrestricted line" officers. These officers are the ONLY ones who are allowed to have command at sea. Also the unrestricted line officers are the ones who drive the ships, are the Nukes, and PILOTS. Coming out of OCS, you can go either way. But Naval academy and ROTC MIDN's are the ones who get most of the unrestricted line officer positions, therefor you are better going for NROTC. unless of course you are just bent on paying for college and then possibly a desk job in the navy.

hope that helped, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

pjxc415

pilot
pennst8 said:
As far as when you're obligated, if you're on NROTC scholarship you sign on the dotted line after sophomore year. Service selection is two years later (senior year), so yes you could end up owing time to the navy and not get aviation. Service selection depends on a lot of factors including how competitive you make yourself for the number of available aviation slots.

Correction penn - you sign the dotted line at the beginning of sophomore year, just to clarify. At least that's how we did it here in Boston

pennst8

Contributor
pjxc415 said:
Correction penn - you sign the dotted line at the beginning of sophomore year, just to clarify. At least that's how we did it here in Boston

Whoops. Guess I should have proofread that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.