• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When do I get official "orders" to Primary?

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I'm just starting API, but I would like to know when I can expect to recieve a copy of my order's telling me I'm going to Vance (where I've been voluntold for Primary).

My apartment complex will let me out of my lease, provided I give them advance notice and a copy of my orders 30 days ahead of time. I'm curious as to how I'm going to be getting orders, because I've heard us Vance bubba's report to Oklahoma really quick... and I'd prefer to not be paying rent for a full month I'm not living here in Pensacola.

API is 6 weeks, give or take a week after that, I'm hoping we get final word on our destination for Primary and a set of orders by the end of week 3 or 4?

Also, do people who get held back for swimming, academics, or injury still end up going where they were originally assigned? Because I was med-down for a week due to a rolled ankle... just curious if here were any positives to that.

nublett

Been there, done that.
I'll let somebody in primary answer your questions about orders, but... You should not be paying rent for a month that you are not occupying your apartment (unless you're in Norfolk), your rent should be prorated for that month. They cannot require you to furnish a copy of your orders before you get them. If they try to argue that you didn't give 30 days notice, and there is a military clause in your lease, argue back. Be firm but polite. It never hurts to consult the JAG about any sort of contract; they have lots of experience with leases. Never sign a lease without a good military clause (VA doesn't have any).

luckechance

You get your orders the last week of API. Its a real Cluster F*&k. On the legal end you just need to let your landlord know a month in advance in writing and provide the orders anytime prior to your moving. It was the day of in my case and worked out just fine.

usnphoenix

Remove before flight
pilot
The guys from my API class that went to Vance got a letter from the command around week 3 or 4 to give to their landlords. As far as getting rolled back goes, there was a person in my class who got rolled back a week and another was med down for 3 weeks and they still went to Vance.

PACKMAN

Give your notice 30 days beforehand (i.e. right now) and bring your orders as soon as you get them. My orders popped up in my 2nd week of API. You do not have to have orders in order to give a notice. If they try to give you **** get a letter from Dave Nichols or LT Dixey.

Mr Mojo Risin'

Out of curiousity, how many people per API class get pegged for Vance? Also, are there any certain qualities that make a person more likely to get sent there?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Being heard saying "hey, Vance wouldn't be too bad" or "man, that T-6 sure is awesome" are two I can think of.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Mr Mojo Risin' said:
Out of curiousity, how many people per API class get pegged for Vance? Also, are there any certain qualities that make a person more likely to get sent there?

It ranges. My original class had 5 out of 26 people headed to Vance (class 0627)

My new class (0629) has NOBODY going to Vance. (except me)

It seriously varies from week to week, but I would say, expect a fourth of your pilots to be Vance Bubba's. If it turns out your in one of the lucky weeks (I think it's every third or fourth week?) that get's no Vance picks... sacrifice ten oxen to your chosen diety.

Also, as to who goes: Since NOBODY is volunteering anymore (and I mean, nobody...) They've been picking them at random. I know of two different Ensigns that went into Flight Management to ask a quick question... and had the LT tell them to "pick a number between 1 and 30" then, LT looks at the spreadsheet, and says "Congratulations, you just sent Ensign JoeSchmo to Vance"

To the people who say Vance is no big deal, I somewhat agree. I mean, I'll live through it... and training is training... but if it wasn't as terrible as it is rumored and had some advantage.... you'd think atleast SOMEONE would have a buddy who went there and gouged them to volunteer... I hear people tell me all the time that You'll be flying the T-6! or You're more likely to get Jets out of Vance. or Vance Bubba's do better in secondary training... or It's rough at first, but the payoffs later are worth it there.

If any of that were true, atleast one hard-charger would be volunteering. But oh well, I'll test the theories for you guys and let you know!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
squorch2 said:
Being heard saying "hey, Vance wouldn't be too bad" or "man, that T-6 sure is awesome" are two I can think of.

The T-6 sure is awesome... (no.. it really is)

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Yes, as SNFO you are immune to the effects of Vance-voluntitis, so you can speak your mind without fear of retribution.

pdx

HSM Pilot
Purdue said:
I hear people tell me all the time that You'll be flying the T-6! or You're more likely to get Jets out of Vance. or Vance Bubba's do better in secondary training... or It's rough at first, but the payoffs later are worth it there.

Only one of these three things is true.