• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whats your take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
FlyTPay, I don't want to be disrespectful, so I will refrain myself from continuing our little discussion

Anyways, Midn09,

Is it really easier to get into the Navy through OCS than ROTC as far as selection? I would have thought i'td be the opposite but thats awesome if it is easier by selection!

Though I dont know if this is just a Army/Marines thing but i've heard that officers are much more disrespected if they went through OCS then ROTC or the academy, is that true?

Did you hear that from an officer who went through the program and told you about how he was personally disrespected and he can prove that OCS is the reason why?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If you have questions about the Oregon State NROTC program, shoot me a PM. I am a relatively recent graduate of their program....and I grew up in Eugene :)

Well the army and marines have always been at eachothers throats, and thats just something I heard so no I didn't ever hear it directly from someone.

I don't want an easy way in thats for sure, because I don't want to be flying around with people who didnt have to earn it, but I just wank to be realistic in my approach to make sure i'm not getting ahead of myself!

Midnjac, i'll definatly keep your name in mind because I am very interested in their program. If I went into the NROTC, that's exactly where i'd go!

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
but I just wank.....myself!

'Nuff said... You got some helpful hints here. The search function has loads of info.. "Chances", "Commissioning", "BDCP", "OCS", "ROTC" will all produce fruitful responses to your questions... BOL

p.s. Thick skin is a required non-paper graded item which is not reflected in your GPA :D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Though I dont know if this is just a Army/Marines thing but i've heard that officers are much more disrespected if they went through OCS then ROTC or the academy, is that true?

An officer is an officer and everyone gets the same starting point in Flight School. You are judged on your performance, period, not by what college ring you might wear on your finger or how you get your commission. The whole point is working as a team regardless of how you earned your commission. There might be smack talk now and then, but you'll get that for type aircraft you fly or anything else people find an opportunity to rattle your cage (kinda like AW).

MPH

You must have heard that from the same guy as me, his name was Skeeterman.

;)

Batman97862

Banned
If you want to fly, and you love the great state of Oregon, march your butt down to the Oregon Air National Guard office. Go talk to the guys at PDX or K-Falls and talk to them about getting in to their squadrons. They periodically have board to bring in newbies and send them through flight school. The flying your doing is good. Get your grades up and consider picking up some type of sceince/engineering major/minor. There are a lot of advantages to Guard vs Active Duty. One being if you do ROTC you don't know what job you'll end up with, pilot, intel, SWO. If the guard hires you, they want to make you a pilot. Second, at flight school they have to check with the squadron before they can kick you out because the Navy/AF is not paying the bill, the state is. ANG people want to get you through because it will take them 2 years to get some one back to your spot. You also know what airframe you will be flying before school starts. I know I said so before, but get your grades up.

exhelodrvr

pilot
The military puts a lot more money into people who go the ROTC or Academy routes, so it would make sense that they would be more selective. However, officers are definitely judged on their performance, not on the origin of their commission.

Batman97862

Banned
Yes, you can joing the guard while in school. You will be enlisted, but they will pay for part or most of your school. Also, you're already in, so when you get your degree you can all for Officer training and flight school. they will be much more likely to move you up then bring in some new guy. They will already know you. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.