• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's the commitment for NROTC? BDCP?

alpha blue

After going through NROTC or OCS, how many years are you obligated to serve in the Navy before you can leave? Does it vary for surface/aviation/submarines?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a total of 8 years, but the active time may vary.

Surface: 4 active
Subs: 5 active?
Aviation: 8 active... AFTER winging
SpecWar: Not sure

pdx

HSM Pilot
After going through NROTC or OCS, how many years are you obligated to serve in the Navy before you can leave? Does it vary for surface/aviation/submarines?

Yes, the obligation varies by community.

For surface and subs, it is 4 or 5 years after commissioning.

For aviation, your committment is measured after winging, which can take from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years depending on your specific pipeline.

When I signed up, it was 8 for all pilots, 6 for NFOs. HOWEVER, many people have posted 6 year committments for helo pilots.

Check out this thread (there are other as well).
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6206

Circle K

pilot
HOWEVER, many people have posted 6 year committments for helo pilots.

As soon as you get those orders after winging you'll see 8 years too. I heard the 6 year thing a bunch too. It may be the way the old system worked, I don't know.

mts4602

Since Aviators must serve 8 yrs on active duty, do they also have to serve 4 more on inactive reserve or is that part of the 4 extra years they must serve compared to most jobs?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since Aviators must serve 8 yrs on active duty, do they also have to serve 4 more on inactive reserve or is that part of the 4 extra years they must serve compared to most jobs?

The 8 is just that, 8. The others (like SWO) do the 4-4 to make 8.

MasterBates

My inital orders after winging, stated 8 years obligated service. I had a contract which stated 7. Brought it to BUPERS via RAG CO, (CAPT Walley was cool about it) since my whole class got schwacked.

7 year contract for us again... Except the Academy/West Point grads!

Now it is 8, but due to shorter training, helos and props are less time in total.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My inital orders after winging, stated 8 years obligated service. I had a contract which stated 7. Brought it to BUPERS via RAG CO, (CAPT Walley was cool about it) since my whole class got schwacked.

Mike Walley was my XO in 44 when I got picked up - great dude. I'm glad he continued on to good things.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You'd think that between a SWO (MOBOARD make ship go) and a Jet guy (Noise make jet go), they could figure out math. Last time I checked, 4-4 was zero. So clearly you don't owe any time.

@Circle K:

Yes, it was the old system. I'm on a 7 year contract. They changed it sometime around 2002-03-ish.