• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's the best way to determine asthma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocco36

Hey, I am curious what medical treatments are availble that would test for asthma. I know of the PFT, Pulminary Function Test, but are there others? Also, what would you determine to be the best type of test? I'm curious because I want to research about what they do. Thanks for your help.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
In addition to PFTs, a doc will also likely test for allergies. He/she may also measure for diffising capacity...this determines the ability of your lungs to absorb inhaled gases. The doc may also take some blood and analyze it to determine how much O2 and CO2 are in your blood.

If all the tests above are normal, the doc may administer bronchial provocation testing.....this is where the doc admisters a drug designed to narrow the bronchial passages. Asthma patients will see their passages narrowed quicker than normal folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.