• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's next?

Can anyone tell me what to expect? I've got just over a year left on my first shore tour duty, then only 9 mos. left until my MSR is complete. Would a Detailer send a guy with 9 mos left, that is thinking of getting out of the Regular Navy, on an IA or GSA to finish out?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I don't think "thinking of getting out of the Regular Navy" counts for much. If you submit your resignation, and time it correctly with your PRD, I don't think there is much anyone can do.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
When you accept PCS orders, as you will because you have another tour to complete, you have to stay in all the way to the end of those orders - dropping your letter just means you're for sure getting out.

But to answer your question, you are for sure IA/GSA fodder.

Squorch,
So what you're saying is that even though I'll owe the navy only 9 months after shore duty, they will still make me take a full set of orders past those 9 months?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
It's not unusual for a guy on his first shore tour to take an IA/GSA to make up the difference between the PRD on those shore orders and his winging commitment. If there are no IAs that fit you and your timing, 9 months is kinda long to extend your shore tour in order to leave active duty (or redesignate) from your shore tour, although while the helo winging commitment was still 7 years a lot of guys who were getting out easily got their shore orders extended by a few months. If you've done good work at the training command (you're a T-6 guy now, right?) then the front offices are generally supportive of guys like you.

So that would be a "firm maybe" but you wouldn't be out of line asking the Skipper and XO about it.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Greetings from Afghanistan: Drop your paperwork and enjoy your subsequent IA (more likely than not)...

If you are wondering if you are on the top of the list, yes you are (take your medicine like a man (or woman). There are good folks here in your exact circumstance.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Things must have changed but.. When I got out as per Milpersman, if you had less than 12 months between PRD and MSR they could not give you orders and had to extend you. Yes, you will be a likely IA depending on timing and a variety of other stuff. I find it hard to believe this has changed in 7 years so go to the source document. But maybe it has. Also if you take orders because you believe words over written instruction, you will owe more than the time left depending on what type of oreders you take (sea, shore, PGS, etc). Don't take advice on this matter; read it in writing!