• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whats AMDO like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

H60Gunr

I know the short answer to this question, being enlisted, but for those far more experienced, I was curious to know how AMDO's like (or dislike) their career. Maybe pinpointing some highlights as to why they enjoy their job and whether or not they would do it again-given the opportunity. I have a package for OCS being reviewed shortly and AMDO is my first choice.

AD

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
H60Gunr said:
I know the short answer to this question, being enlisted, but for those far more experienced, I was curious to know how AMDO's like (or dislike) their career. Maybe pinpointing some highlights as to why they enjoy their job and whether or not they would do it again-given the opportunity. I have a package for OCS being reviewed shortly and AMDO is my first choice.

AD
I don't know why you'd do that if you were elidgible for other URL designators. I'd recommend you ask your MMCO or other maint type officers. Even if they're LDOs or CWOs, the job is going to be pretty much the same.

Brett

H60Gunr

Yeah but if you had a choice between Intel and AMDO, which route sounds more "appealing"? Maybe staying enlisted and continuing flying would be a better consideration.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
H60Gunr said:
Yeah but if you had a choice between Intel and AMDO, which route sounds more "appealing"? Maybe staying enlisted and continuing flying would be a better consideration.
Officer is always better than a flying E gig (I've done both). I would rather be an Intel guy (or AMDO for that matter) than a crewman.

Brett

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or the classic Intel Guy who draws flight pay via sandbagging. Gag.

H60Gunr

Mr. Brett. Are you implying that Intel is more exciting than AMDO or either can be equally enthralling?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
H60Gunr said:
Mr. Brett. Are you implying that Intel is more exciting than AMDO or either can be equally enthralling?
It all depends on what YOU like. I spent my first 8 years in the Navy working in the Maint department - been there, done that. If you're more interested in the actual warfighting side of things, then I'd look at Intel, but that's just me. AMDO is going to be running the Maint department, doing paperwork, admin oriented stuff (not to say that Intel doesn't have its share of admin). Like I said before, talk to the LDOs or AMDOs in your squadron, then get the Intel folks' perspective too and decide on what seems most interesting. Are you in JAX or San Diego?

Brett

H60Gunr

I'm in San Diego and have been deployed with all types of AMDOs and MMCOs and also have done the maintenance thing for awhile too. Going to school to enforce the 4790 doesn't exactly sound compariable to flying in the back of a -60. Just not 'wired that way' I think. Intel may sound more riveting but i guess when it comes down to it, I'll take what I can get.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
H60Gunr said:
I'm in San Diego and have been deployed with all types of AMDOs and MMCOs and also have done the maintenance thing for awhile too. Going to school to enforce the 4790 doesn't exactly sound compariable to flying in the back of a -60. Just not 'wired that way' I think. Intel may sound more riveting but i guess when it comes down to it, I'll take what I can get.
Are you in LAMPS or straight HS? PM me and we can continue this offline.

Brett

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
H60Gunr said:

AD

In reply to the original post, I'm an AMDO, and uh, to be somewhat politically correct, I'm not a big fan. I'm not prior enlisted, so on a social level, most other AMDOs are older than me, and quite frankly, if it weren't for the aviator JOs in my squadron, I'd have gone insane by now. Alot of people think well, I want to stay in the aviation community so I'll go AMDO, but the reality is, the AMDO career is geared towards AIMD, which looks a lot less fun than being in a squadron.

It's also a little frustrating when your department head/XO/CO aren't the same designator, so they have no idea what the career path is, nor have they been in your shoes.

Finally, AMDO is 100% paperwork. It's not like being an aviator and having to deal with your ground job, because at least you get to split your time between the two. All I have is my ground job, it gets pretty boring on cruise. I've been the MCO and the QAO, nothing too exciting.

H60Gunr

If you had to do it all over again, would you chose AMDO or have gone another route, i.e Intel (if those were your choices)? Do you find your biggest challenges having to deal with with maintenance chiefs or maybe the droning piles of endless paperwork? What do you actually like best/least about AMDO? When talking with other AMDO's who were prior enlisted, did they feel getting into Maintenance Management was better than staying enlisted or do they have some regrets?

My experience from being a maintaner is that AMDO's are constantly under pressure to keep the aicraft in the air by the OIC while deployed and considered outsiders by senior pilots. Then again my side is skewed by being enlisted and observing only what I've seen and read. I am eagerly anticipating word from my package that is being reviewed (NFO/AMDO/Intel).

Thanks.

AD2

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't go AMDO, mainly because I'm not prior enlisted. I mean, I got to OCS as a 23 year-old, and people kept asking me if I was prior enlisted...I started thinking, should I be? I've since fixed the situation by getting picked up for lat transfer to the CEC, but that's another story.

Also, AMDO wasn't my first choice, I tried for NFO, but my -9.00 made sure I didn't fly. Also, every other rare non-prior enlisted guy I talked to that is an AMDO took it as a fallback option.

To answer some of your questions:

Maintenance Chiefs - I can tell that they definitely treat me different than the LDO/CWO crowd, which I think is total BS. In AMDO, it's almost as if you're expected to be prior enlisted. When I was about to check in, our MMCO told our SK1, "you know, you're getting a young guy [as MCO]" In any other community, they wouldn't point that out.

Paperwork: It's not endless, but that's what your job is. The MMCO is by far the busiest ground pounder job. My gripe with the paper work is that there's no variety. It's not like being an NFO, getting to fly, then landing and dealing with your AV/ARM Div O paper work.

What I like best: It's not SWO
What I like least: The work

I think most prior enlisted guys like AMDO over the enlisted life...it's a career progression, for me it wasn't, because I was fresh out of college.

AMDOs under pressure...I haven't felt it, because I'm not the MMCO. He feels the pressure, I feel the boredom.

As for AMDOs being outsiders by pilots senior or not, there is a lot of truth in that. However, I've been fortunate to be in an S-3 squadron, and the pilots/NFOs are cool as hell. Also, since I'm closer to their age, we have a lot more in common and I hang out with them back home and inport.

Your average prior enlisted AMDO is older, married with kids, so what is he gonna say to the 24 year old NFO who just checked in from the rag? If you make an effort to fit in, you will. However, I hear some of the super hornet guys can be A-holes, and I see their MCO hang out with their LDO MMCO all the time, and the MCO is younger than me, so that can't be too fun.

Hope I answered your questions...and good luck, I seriously hope you get NFO.

Status
Not open for further replies.