• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's a good score?

Hey guys,

I'm taking the ASTBs in two months (that should give me enough study time). What score do I want to be a strong candidate for a recommendation to fly?

I was warned that my political science background was a gift and a curse, apparently the Navy likes engineers and physics majors for piloting programs, but political science majors for naval intel which is apparently a highly desired field. He said if I score 'very well' on this ASTB my background won't matter, and besides it may just be that engineers and physics majors do well on the ASTBs because of all the math and science.

But what does 'very well' mean? Anybody know from experience? How does the scoring even work?

Thanks for your continued assistance

badger16

None
You can't really say for sure and there are some current threads that are going on right now that talk about it, but if I had to venture a guess for myself. I would say straight 7's and a over 56 OAR would make me feel pretty comfortable. It's just so hard to guess because people have gotten picked with far worse scores then that and some have gotten shot down with better. It has been said a thousand times but I firmly believe it. Just study your ass off and do your best and try not to think about "safe scores". Think about getting a perfect score. I'm sure they'd take you if you did that. Good luck to you.
Cheers.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Do a search. You'll find everybody's and their brother's opinions about the scoring system. You'll also find links to the NAMI/NOMI websites that give you a real, no BS breakdown of how scoring works.

redbeard1682

Do your best, and don't obsess. You can run a thousand calculations and you will never be able to explain away human variability. Good luck and good studying.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Hey guys,

I'm taking the ASTBs in two months (that should give me enough study time). What score do I want to be a strong candidate for a recommendation to fly?

I was warned that my political science background was a gift and a curse, apparently the Navy likes engineers and physics majors for piloting programs, but political science majors for naval intel which is apparently a highly desired field. He said if I score 'very well' on this ASTB my background won't matter, and besides it may just be that engineers and physics majors do well on the ASTBs because of all the math and science.

But what does 'very well' mean? Anybody know from experience? How does the scoring even work?

Thanks for your continued assistance

A lot of people get accepted for pilot and NFO with business degrees. your degree type doesn't matter as long as you have a good GPA, do good on the ASTB, and don't have any real negative things in your package (like a criminal background).