• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whatever your opinion is of Gen. Pace...

phrogpilot73

This speaks volumes of his character. I recieved the following via email yesterday (originated by a retired Navy RADM):

Sent: Friday, October 12, 2007 1:50 PM
Subject: Speaks volumes

A friend sent the attachments to me with the below note. VR, Wxxx

I wanted to share with you what we saw in Washington DC last week. After the mid-term brief we toured the Mall and made the usual stops at the WWII Memorial, the Wall, Lincoln Memorial, etc. At the Vietnam Wall we saw something unbelievable. We noticed three small index cards at the base of the Wall. I knelt down for a closer look and noticed that a 4-star general’s rank was pinned to each card. The cards were personally addressed and said something like:

These are Yours- not mine!
With Love and Respect,
Your Platoon Leader,
Pete Pace
1 Oct

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs had laid down his rank for his boys who died in Nam just the day before! I later found out that 1 Oct was also the same day he stepped down as chairman.

DC_2_002.jpg

DC_1_264.jpg

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
This just further confirms what I suspected the one time I had the pleasure of meeting him. General Pace is a stand up guy and would be worthy of respect if he had nothing on his collar.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Impressive and refreshing to see in this day and age.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Gen. Pace is a fine man ... I'd serve with him or under him anytime.

He was not PC enough to survive in this present environment -- he spoke the truth as he saw it.

schwarti

Contributor
I've been telling my friends about this all day - even the super-liberal ones. And they've all agreed that it shows a hell of a guy. Very moving.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I'm not seeing the bit where he places the cards - just some Ken Burns effect with still shots of the cards themselves.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
Hastily constructed post on my part. A more correct explanation is the link takes you to a two-minute CNN news story that covers the General during his final day, including retirement speech followed by his visit to The Wall, where he left the three notes.