• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What would you do?

NATHAN4748

This is my situation and I've been taking in so much information I am not sure anymore. I applied for the 4 year NROTC scholarship and did not get it. I attended the University of Tenn at Chattanooga for the Fall '12 semester and took 12 general credit hours. I then got a full time job and transferred to a community college for online classes and took 6 hours while I underwent orientation and probation at my job. The job did not work out, I did not get fired, I left on good terms. Now I am seriously looking into the NROTC program at the University of Memphis for the Fall '13 semester and was just wondering what I should do. I want to pursue a degree in Civil Engineering (a Tier 2 major) and I will most likely be at the University of Memphis for 3.5 or 4 years due to transfer equivalency crap.

Now that you know where I'm coming from what should strive to make happen as far as Navy scholarships and Advanced Standing? I really do not know what is the best route to take at this point to receive a commission.

Any advice would be great!

Tex15

I'm also a MIDN going for a scholarship - not an officer or any sort of expert, just someone who's researched the subject extensively - so take this information as you will.

Although you are technically qualified, I believe it's too late to apply for the four year national scholarship. Don't fret, that's no where near your only option to commission. You can join the NROTC unit at the University of Memphis and speak with the staff about being submitted for a 3 year scholarship at the end of your first year. Kick ass at grades, PT, and be generally motivated and this should be no problem. Calculus and physics will help your chances, so if you haven't taken those yet try to get it done ASAP. At the end of your first year you can be considered for both the national sideload scholarship (3 year) and one of several scholarships given to your PNS to award as he sees fit. It will behoove you to be on good terms with your PNS because he will either be the one writing your recommendations for the side load scholarship or awarding you one of his allotted scholarships.

Three year scholarships are significantly more competitive than two year scholarships, so don't freak out if you're not awarded one at the end of your first year. Keep working hard, getting good grades, maxing your PRTs, and being a visible and helpful member of your unit. The same opportunity for PNS scholarships and side load scholarships will roll around at the end of your second year. There are more of these available because they're cheaper and the Navy is, thus, willing to hand more of them out.

If you're not selected for a scholarship at the end of your second year your unit can automatically submit you for advanced standing. Advanced standing grants you a commission and a monthly stipend but does not pay for your tuition. Advanced standing mids also do not have to take calculus and physics, though as an engineering major I expect that doesn't really effect you. Other than that they have the same requirements and expectations that scholarship recipients do.

If you're not selected for any of that and you still want a commission, you'll have to go to OCS. You can talk to recruiters in your area about applying for BDCP or NUPOC. If neither of those programs interest you you can just want until the end of your senior year to apply to OCS, where you'll endure twelve weeks of fun and, ultimately, receive your commission.

There are plenty of opportunities out there! Keep your grades and PRT scores up and you won't have too much to worry about.