• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

what would you do?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I need some advice from the AW BTDT guys.

I don't report to Pcola until the last week of September now and am stashed at my ROTC unit. For the first month after commissioning I was stashed at home with a recruiter (which I had chosen thinking I was reporting at the end of May), but when my report date came in I decided to go back to school in an attempt to relive college a little more before flight school.

Right now I'm subletting a room in a house with a local woman that is partially furnished, pretty cheap (as in less than half of my BAH), and pretty close to campus. The only downside is the place is kinda crappy and dirty, but as I own no furniture since I lived in the dorms all 4 years it was a good option.

I'm wondering now, assuming I could find an apartment that would rent to me for 3 months that is not completely sketchy, if I should move out. I just learned of the beauty that is a partial DITY move and am debating doing it. If I got an apartment I would buy all the basic furniture and that I would do as the non-DITY part of the partial DITY. Right now, I can fit all the crap I own into my CRV, so if I don't move I will just do a full DITY.

So basically I'm wondering what yall would do in my situation? Would you stay in the cheap, but crappy sublet where I'm essentially living out of my boxes as the only furniture in my room is a bed, or would you all try to find an apartment and buy new furniture to move to Pcola, assuming I could find a place?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Your move will be expensive, no matter how you do it. In case you didn't know, you won't see a penny of re-imbursement until you check into primary, and even then the payout is probably less than what was spent (at least for me, especially factoring in gas expenses). Any money you save now will be golden when you are driving x-country. So yeah, keep what you have, save the extra cash

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the advice. Sticking where I am makes sense logistically in terms of moving all my shit again, even though it's not the best of places to live. In terms of furniture, however, do you think it would make sense maybe to buy a dresser (like from Target or Walmart, I did some in store browsing and found some decent stuff) that I could disassemble and reassemble once I get to Florida? Anyone know of any decent furniture places that could sell something like that? Unfortunately Ikea isn't an option- there's one 30 min from my house in MD but nothing in TN- but has anyone else done something similar? Even after 5 days living out of boxes is getting slightly annoying.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Thrift stores and goodwill. Sometimes you can find decent pieces of furniture in places like that. There's a ton of them in Pensacola. If you shop smart you can get decent furniture for little dollars. My .02

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor
While you may make a little money off a DITY, you've got at least a couple moves ahead of you in the next few years, so I'd suggest putting off the headache inducing moves involving all your furniture, truck/trailer rental, etc., and just stuff all you own in your car while you can.

Like HD said, 3 months is nothing, save your BAH now and go nuts on the furniture once you get down here. There are a ton of furniture stores in and around Pensacola, and the Craigslist furniture section isn't too bad, I've picked up a few good deals from there.

Also, a lot of times furniture you buy that requires assembly from places like Target (I just got a TV stand from there, it's good quality for the price) is a pretty big hassle to put together and damn near impossible to take apart correctly. I think they plan it as a 1 time assembly.

Another (cheap-ass) method would be to buy some plastic stackable drawers from walmart to serve as a dresser for the time being. You can pack things in them when you move, and stick them in a closet or garage when you get to Florida for storage. When I did IFS in Quantico my apartment was completely furnished with these plastic drawers and bins. They ain't pretty, but they get the job done.

badger16

None
I'd stay. I just spent around 1500 moving here. Moving truck, gas, hotels,blah blah blah...it adds up. Take the other half of your BAH buy a plastic pool and a shit ton of beer and enjoy the afternoons and evenings poolside talking non sense to the neighbors/random street walkers,bikers,and runners that go past! haha:D Way better then driving a Penske truck 24 hours.

johnny utah

still bigger than hip-hop
pilot
You might also buy a cool car with the money you save... though my mom does really like her CRV. Seriously though, do what the Badger says.

Plastic Pool + BEER = a Winning Combination

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Beer is always a plan, especially as I only have 2 more bottles left in the fridge. Thanks for the advice again, yall are right this is definitely manageable.

And I'm totally OK with the fact I drive a mom car :)