• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What type of GPA do i need to get a pilot slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey3UofM

Right now i have a 3.2 gpa (non-technical) i was just wondering from anyone who might know, what type of gpa are they selecting?

zuggerat

i saw the competitive profile about 3 weeks ago... 3.6+ is the average competitive GPA profile right now... but keep in mind that this can vary a great deal when it comes to selection... there are many variables... goodluck bro

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
There is no set GPA that the navy selects pilots for (the addage I heard was 2.0 and go swo, 2.5 and go fly) but obviously the higher you can get it the better.

If I remember correctly, there is a formula that that the Navy uses to decide who gets what for service selection. To give you a general idea, for aviation, they take your astb scores and make them count for something like 40% of the total score, and take the other 60% from gpa, major, aptitude+pt and PNS points. Of that other 60% GPA and Aptitude are weighted the most (also, the navy takes into account your nrotc class grades, which should only help you because most of them are easy.). Unless things have changes, the mins for the ASTB are 3/4/4 (AQR, PFAR and FORAR) on a scale of 1(or2) to 9 -for pilots, a high PFAR is a definate plus.

UTexas NROTC (http://www.utexas.edu/rotc/navymarine/support/ASTB.htm) has a site that goes into the astb and how the selection formula is broken down. Here is what they have to say.

"Midshipmen from all 65 NROTC units compete on a national level for the available aviation billets. An aviation service selection score is computed for all physically qualified Midshipmen who would like to go into Naval Aviation. The top candidates are then selected. The following service selection formula will give you a rough idea of how scores are computed. IT IS NOT NECESSARILY THE ONE THAT CNET USES FOR SELECTION!

Cumulative GPA 27%

Adjusted Aptitude (Fall of 1/C Year only) 21%

(CNET statistically adjusts aptitude to normalize the subjective grading differences in the 65 NROTC units.)

Academic Major 6%

(Based on OPMIS major: Technical (47-66) is 100% of the possible points, Science and Math (36-40, 42-46, 90) is 87.5%, and Non- technical (1-35, 41, 67-89, 91-99) is 75%)

PNS Subjective Evaluation (assigned by CO) 6%

AQR 10%

PFAR (for pilots) or FOFAR (for NFOs) 20%

Other 10%

Total: 100%"

The scores I got selected with went something like:
GPA: 3.06 (non-tech)
Aptitude: 3.7
9.2 out of 10 on the PNS points
AQR: 4
PFAR: 5
FOFAR:3

Bottom line, 3.2 isn't bad and there probably nothing you can do about it being in a non-technical major so just continue to do your best on everything and hopefully things will work out for you. Remember "NEEDS OF THE NAVY..." Good luck.

ACurry

Thank God for Kidney Stone Medical Waivers
I wouldn't worry to much if I were you. I just got selected for SNA back in DEC04 with a approx. 2.81 GPA. I'm also only a business major. GOOD LUCK!!!!

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Moral of the story, do your best, so that if you don't get it, you won't always wonder what would have happened if you had tried just a little harder.

What may be a good enough GPA this year, may not be good enough the next.

BadBobJr.

Auburn Aviation Hopeful
theres a lot that goes into it. we had a guy who made a 2.7 in finance just pick up pilot. he graduated right before christmas break.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Without going into numbers, I did far worse than any of these GPAs being thrown around here, and I got a slot. If you did badly in school, you'll need to do correspondingly better on the ASTB to get a slot. Doing badly in school also dings you as far as the CO of your unit is concerned, so you likely won't get the points from him that the super-studs with the 4.0s get. But I wouldn't sweat a 3.2 GPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.