• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

what to do....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sublime259

Hey everyone, i've been visiting this site for quite a while, and have gotten a lot of good info, but this is my first post. Like a lot of people on this site, my goal is to get a SNA slot, although now i'm just trying to see when I should start the whole application process, so im looking for any usefull advice that you guys can give me. To start, here's a bit about myself; im a sophmore at Embry Riddle (yeah one of those...) and I have my instrument/commercial (I'll get my multi next fall) I was planning on possibly gettting PRK next winter sometime and starting on my application soon after. The problem is my GPA, its about 3.15 cumulitive rigth now in Aeronautical Science...I didnt try much in my freshman/sophmore yrs, but I'm sure that now that I have something to work towards i can get up near a 4.0 for my junior and senior yrs (all my gen ed classes are done, and those are the ones i sucked with!) Any helpfull info on what my chances are for '06 and what I could do would be awesome. My uncle is a retired commander (helo pilot), if that helps at all....Thanks!

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You sound like you're on the right track. Extracurricular/leadership stuff is important. So is doing well on the ASTB. Your GPA isn't all that bad especially if that is a hard major. If you have any specific questions, fire away.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
If your going to get PRK you have to wait 3 to 6 months to apply, according to what your vision (diopt) is. Have you thought about doing BDCP?

sublime259

yeah, i know I need to wait the 3 month period, that's why I figured I would start with the application sometime next Spring, if I get PRK in the Winter, Im just a little worried that I may be a little late in the game for a '06 spot. As for BDCP, I wanted to pull my GPA up before I start applying, is it possible to apply for BDCP for just my senior year? Thanks!

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes you can be BDCP for only one year. However, that means you'd have to get your application finished a good 3-4 months before that. Six months would be better, you never know what snags you might hit.

erabe07

From my observations, the earlier you apply the better. It seems like they proportion a certain number of slots for academy grads and nrotc people in each field. Whatever is left they give to OCS people. BDCP people get the jump because they usually have a year or more before they could possibly go to OCS, so the chances of the classes that far ahead being 'full' are much less. That would probably also make your package accepted more easily. You can always apply more then once, and if you get in right away you'll be getting paid for 2 years yet (not bad having 2 years time in service towards retirement before you are even expected to perform any real duties). All this info is the impression I have gotten from going through the process myself (BDCP program) and reading what others have experienced. If I had realized what I do now, I would have applied for BDCP late my freshman year & road the BDCP train all the way through college.

sublime259

Thanks for all the good info. Aside from BDCP, if I were to apply a year from now (Spring 2005) for a SNA spot after graduation in 2006, is that a little late? I'm not talking about BDCP right now, just going straight out of college. Also, if I say that I can accept an OCS class date starting in May 2006 (just a hypothetical situation) are they only going to look into me for that year, or 2007 also. I guess what I'm getting at is that I wouldnt mind waiting around for more then a year after graduation, if thats what it takes, to get a SNA spot. Hope this all makes some sort of sence to you all!! Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.