• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What options do I have

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxerCLC

I'm a college student, I am starting my sophmore year this fall. I have a 4.0 GPA and I am on my college's track team.

I really want to be a pilot, so what options do I have to be commissioned. Should I just wait to graduate and apply for OCS?
I'm very new to all of this so thanks a lot.

Also, do I take the eye exam and all the flight physicals before I contract?

Because I would not want to sign a contract and find out that I can't be an aviator and get stuck on the ground.

reapergm

BoxerCLC said:
I would not want to sign a contract and find out that I can't be an aviator and get stuck on the ground.

Guess what man... You are guaranteed a "chance," but not necessarily a flight spot. Once you accept your commission, you are in. If you fail out of flight school, you will be bumped to a ground slot at the discretion of the Corps. Dont go for Marine flight unless you are willing to accept that.

BoxerCLC

The thing is though, do I take my flight physical before I sign my contract??

Because I don't want to find out that I am MEDICALLY disqualified to be a pilot after I sign my contract. Does anyone know about this?

bighuggies

BoxerCLC said:
The thing is though, do I take my flight physical before I sign my contract??

Because I don't want to find out that I am MEDICALLY disqualified to be a pilot after I sign my contract. Does anyone know about this?

Yes, you will take your flight physical and flight test before contracting. Kinda makes sense doncha think?

reapergm

Most people going for Marine Pilot are pretty hard chargers. They want to be Marines. Thats just something you have to think about. I would do Marine ground, but I choose air. Its just different than the other braches. Theyre all unique in their own way. Check out all the branches, talk to different recruiters.

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
Boxer if all you want to do is fly then look at the Navy or the Air Force like Reaper suggested. With your GPA I'm sure they'd take you. Look to the Marines if you want to become an officer of Marines first, becoming a pilot second because you're going to be expected to do a lot more than just fly in the Marine Corps.

BoxerCLC

yes I probably will look into the navy or airforce. I just like the aviation contract that the Marines have.

I would really want to be a pilot, and that seemed like the easiest way. Right now I will just focus on my grades and track and field.

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
Gentlemen, if I could weigh in just a second... While I would be damn proud if I was back with an artillery unit, I'll admit that the gauranteed air contract was a PRIME motivator for me.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
BoxerCLC said:
I just like the aviation contract that the Marines have.

I would really want to be a pilot, and that seemed like the easiest way

Did you honestly refer to the Marine Corps as the easiest way to become a pilot?

penderwt

yut king
HA, easiest...i don't think joining the Marine Corps is the easiest way to do anything..the best way? well, yeah, but the easiest? hmm...

chillax boxer, i know what ya meant..sometimes some of us jump on those who talk about any of the practical benefits to being an aviator in the Marine Corps.

never having been out there in the real Corps yet, i'd still like to add my two cents. i'm going to be a junior in college through the NROTC program, Marine option, and just began thinking hardcore about aviation a few months ago. being female, it seems to be one of the only places to get to work "with the guys" and as close to a combat MOS as i can get (besides maybe combat engineering). i agree that you want to be an officer of Marines first, aviator second, but i was also told that the Marine Corps is hurting for pilots, so perhaps it will be "easier" once you get there. personally, i cannot focus on a future that far away until i've passed the all-so-critical OCS next summer.

i'd say research what the Navy and Air Force has to offer in terms of an OCS after graduating from college and what the different pipelines are for aviation guarantees. i'd like to say that in the AF, you'll probably have the least likely chance of an aviation guarantee because that's what everyone is there for anyway. they say something like only 2% of their cadets actually get to become pilots. everyone else is confirming their nickname of "Chairforce." we've had two guys switch to Navy ROTC from AF in the past year, and they both said they didn't like it for that reason.

just something to think about...

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Why wait?

BoxerCLC said:
I'm a college student, I am starting my sophmore year this fall. I have a 4.0 GPA and I am on my college's track team.

I really want to be a pilot, so what options do I have to be commissioned. Should I just wait to graduate and apply for OCS?
I'm very new to all of this so thanks a lot.
Go for Platoon Leaders' Course (PLC) - Undergraduate OCS. You can wait until your senior year and/or until you graduate to apply for Officer Candidates' Class (OCC) - the graduate version, but it's more competitive.

With your stats (i.e. GPA, atheletics), you have a good beginning for your PLC/OCS package.
Also, do I take the eye exam and all the flight physicals before I contract?

Because I would not want to sign a contract and find out that I can't be an aviator and get stuck on the ground.
You can take it [flight option requirements] before or after you contract (meaning you can upgrade). But I think it's better if you do everything at once for the option you want.
I probably will look into the navy or airforce.
Nothing wrong with doing that aswell. Just remember, to be competitive for an OCS/OTS (respectively) slot in those services you have to possess a science or tech major in addition to the high GPA. So if you don't have either major, and you apply with someone that does and with an equal GPA, they'll take that person first.

Status
Not open for further replies.