• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What kind of degree should I have?

jmoore

If I wan't a comission what type of degree should I have? What I mean is should I have a Bachelor or Arts or a Bachelor of Science, or does it even matter?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Flew with 2 studs today...

1 - General Studies from Drexel Univeristy.
2 - English Composition from a Division 2 school in Arizona (NAU)

Choose...but choose wisely (as in, get a degree with a signature at the bottom). The key is WANTING to serve not "wanting a commission"

~D

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Get a degree that you'll enjoy and you'll excel in. As long as it's accredited, you're golden.

Recidivist

your degree should:
1. be something you are interested in
2. be something that allows you to enjoy your college life
3. be good for something in case your plans don't work out (injury, epiphany leading to long dull life of celibacy and pacifism, commissioning plans fail, the Navy finds out about the hookers and blow pyramid scheme, etc.)

In addition to academics, look at doing some extracurriculars such as sports, volunteer fire or citizens patrols, etc.

Huggy Bear

pilot
your degree should:
1. be something you are interested in
2. be something that allows you to enjoy your college life
3. be good for something in case your plans don't work out (injury, epiphany leading to long dull life of celibacy and pacifism, commissioning plans fail, the Navy finds out about the hookers and blow pyramid scheme, etc.)

In addition to academics, look at doing some extracurriculars such as sports, volunteer fire or citizens patrols, etc.

Well said. I started out as a chemistry major because I thought it looked good for picking up a three year scholarship. It turns out I disliked the subject matter and consequently didn't study like I should have. I got a D in my freshman advanced chemistry class. Luckily, I did well in all of the classes I did like and pulled out enough of a gpa to get the scholarship. Once I got the scholarship I switched to a major I actually enjoy, got good grades, really enjoyed my college years, and still got a pilot slot. After ten years of flying fighters I can tell you your major doesn't mean shit once you are in. Nobody gives a shit that you were an engineer. Study what interests you. Wanna fly - poli sci.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And of course, don't forget to plan for when you finally do get out of the Navy. Yes, employers do consider what degree you got and why you decided to get it.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
Doesn't one of the pilots on AW have a degree in theater? I remember reading that and laughing my a$$ off.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Another thespian in our midst...
Thespian.jpg