• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is the sitting height and femur height requirements to fly the Strike/ Strike fighter platforms?

Caribbean_Joe

Had a friend who on second day of OCS, said his sitting height was too high to fly the T-45 trainor which disqualified him from the strike/ strike fighter NFO platforms. I was curious if anyone knew the min/ max metrics on what disqualifies prospective candidates? Femur and sitting height measurements.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A little nervous don't want to get disqualified from flight/ flying the aircraft.
Buttock-Knee length is also a thing in Helos. Thankfully the T-44 is very permissive with anthro, so likely you will have a place to land regardless of your measurements. Don't sweat it!

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I'm a normally proportioned 6'6" person, and I only missed the helo anthro for sitting height by less than a 1/4 inch. You'll be fine for aviation in general unless you're all torso. If you're jets or nothing, then you're setting yourself up to be disappointed in the future. Granted as an NFO you have a 50/50 shot at being jets (at least thats what it was a year ago).

Caribbean_Joe

I'm a normally proportioned 6'6" person, and I only missed the helo anthro for sitting height by less than a 1/4 inch. You'll be fine for aviation in general unless you're all torso. If you're jets or nothing, then you're setting yourself up to be disappointed in the future. Granted as an NFO you have a 50/50 shot at being jets (at least thats what it was a year ago).
Awesome, that makes me more confident. My friend who was 6'4 was disqualified from T-45 NFO and pilot, said he was mostly torso, I'm 6'2 -3" range.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Butt-knee length is a thing for the T-45. I’m 6’3” and was fine on sitting height but my femur is too long and I was over the butt-knee limit. My legs are apparently longer in relation to my torso so my only options were helos or P-3.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Awesome, that makes me more confident. My friend who was 6'4 was disqualified from T-45 NFO and pilot, said he was mostly torso, I'm 6'2 -3" range.

I am 6'3" and fit into the T45 snugly. If you are concerned about your options, during API, you used to be able to get remeasured if you are disqualified on the first measurement. My initial measurement had me anthro'ed only into E-6, P-3, or Helicopters. The second measurement opened the doors to all pipelines.

The ooga booga of the dark art of Anthro is scary (not really). You will love whatever aircraft you end up flying. Unless that plane is an E-2, then you love it because you will want to hate fuck it most of the time.

Last edited:

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Myself and two others all did the redez to NFO in API because their anthro doctor said our sitting height was too high for jets (which I already knew) and helos. I was the tallest of the three and the others were 6'2" and 6'3". And my sitting height was the shortest of the three.

Since I had only done my flight physical a few months prior I figured the anthro visit at API wouldn't be a big deal. The lady told me I had to come back the next day for a remeasure. Even though I was less than a 1/4" in too tall she wouldn't let it slide; then again that .25 was the difference between pilot and NFO, not jets or helos. They do not do sit checks in aircraft anymore.

All in all you'll be fine. Aviation in the seat or the back is still aviation.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I've mentioned this here before, but I was extremely close to being anthro'd out of Prowlers due to sitting height. I'm barely 5'10". Have known plenty of 6'+ dudes in VFA/VAQ. Also knew a person later on in T-45's who got anthro'd out of E-2/C-2 due to being too short, and only could go tail hook. They ended up attriting from training, unrelated to size. Long story short, I wouldn't stress. There will be many more important hurdles to overcome that you have more control over. Like others have said, if/when you get to pin those wings on, you will have a good time wherever you end up.