• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Nielsen

I just wanted to know what is so bad about being a SWO? I have heard comments like "they eat their young" and "they stand watch all day". I am an enlisted nuke of 9 yrs who is applying to SWO community. Standing a 3 section (6hr) watch underway and 3 section duty in port is normal. As far as work hours, staying until 5-6 pm regularly was the case. I am not trying to say that I have "been there, done that", I honestly want to know how this compares to SWO life, and exactly what to expect. What do you mean "they eat their young"? Thanks.

Keith

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
For some guys, being a shoe is a dream. For most people on this board, flying is the goal. I mean a SWO guy may freak out when thinking of becoming a Bubblehead, Frog or Aviator. Here, the word shoe is verboten!

Dave

Dave Shutter

I've come across a lot of SWO's in flight school and they all speak fondly of it, glad they did it actually. Pretty much all of them express happily going back to SWO if aviation doesn't work out. I think bad news just tends to stick to people minds more, but I have no idea about the SWO world. A LCDR I know is on his way to his next assignment in a couple of weeks and he'll be working with Tomahawks, ultimately going out on small boys to run the systems for the shooters. Flying's been his whole life, but he's thrilled to death about this new job.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think Steve will chime in a few days, once he has access again. I think most of the shoe-bashing comes from other communities, aviators especially since they have to deal w/ them on a regular basis. The reason, I think, is that the other communities are more tightly knit, and just have a different way of doing things. Not being a nuke, I can't give an anecdote there, but knowing a lot of them in college, they always liked the sense of family and how everyone was an integral part of the team.

As an aviator, I'm used to putting my life in not just another officers hands, but the AW2 or 3 that's in the back. As a result, when we (aviators) see something that's not right, or unsafe, or fill in the blank, we speak up. Some regard that as "a pilot just complaining" or a pilot "being disrespectful" (yes, I've actually been threatened for disobeying an order when the order was not technically or tactically possible).

Shoes, on the other hand, tend to excel in not wanting to get yelled at. If they screw up (which is the best way to learn, btw), they get yelled at. If there's a misunderstanding, they get yelled at. Etc, etc. Obviously I'm generalizing. A few years ago, there was a DDG captain that had the highest rentention rate across the board in PacFleet. The ship was famous for their food and meals, and morale was at an all time high on the ship. He empowered his people to solve the problems, and let them suceed (or fail) on their own. It's too bad that's a novelty.

I'm sure others may come in and rebutt my post, and bring it on. Having just got back 5 days ago, I'm still coming down from my ship/shoe flashbacks.
icon_smile.gif

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You want ship/shoe flashbacks? Roger, ball.

But you're gonna have to wait a couple weeks before I get home. I can already see where this post is going, but I don't have the time right now to direct it down it's proper path. Until then, keep the questions coming.

Not sure who this Gatordev LAMPS bubba is, but I'm sure he isn't a SWO. Probably some bitter LT that got stuck flying helos.

--Steve

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Steve,

I think that this Gatordev guy must have some issues!
propeller_125.gif

paperbag_125.gif
Dave

Keith Nielsen

I appreciate the responses. Steve, I read your journal (part 2A) as well as your aviator journal. I have to say that they were very interesting reads. I would like to hear more on your perspective about being a SWO. Any other SWOs out there who would like to give me a heads up, please post. Thanks.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Issues? Oh, when it comes to being on the ship, I definately have issues...
icon_smile_wink.gif
Bitter, huh Steve? Don't you have a line to go wait in to get some of that great tasting food? Well, I'm sure W. will have some good food, and won't have to pay $220 for it.
icon_smile.gif

rare21

pilot
Contributor
I went on my first class cruise on a surface ship (USS Cleveland LPD-7 commanded by an F-14 pilot!)and i heard nothing good from the SWOs. Almost every SWO i worked with hated their jobs, and ship life and were all trying to get lateral transfers. My running mate said its because SWOs arent appreciated and are treated like crap which i did see on that ship. From that point on I was resilient and not screwing up and having to go SWO. This is all taken from the SWOs mouth.

patbrown08

All of that bitterness comes from a command climate. It was the same way on subs. My last boat was terrible. There were so many bitter people on that boat. Of course, I had been lucky enough to ride a boat with a great command climate. Even the junior deckplate guys in the bilge loved where they were and had a great deal of pride in their boat. That is probably why it was a Battle 'E' boat 2 years running. I am sure that whether you are driving ships, ordering parts, running a reactor, or flying planes if you end up somewhere with a crappy command climate and poor leadership you will hate it and be looking for a way out. There was an instructor at primary who absolutely despised his community, mostly based on one squadron tour. He loved flying, but was looking for anything to keep him from going back to a squadron.

BYSun

Sounds about right on the climate issue. In business, managment sets the tone. If you have a bad experience in a company, business etc...most likely the reason is the managers or leadership arent doing a good job. This, of course, will be felt all the way down the chain. Hence, why being an officer is such a critical position. YOU set the tone for those under you.

My $0.10 (though canadian so about $0.005 US.)

Bryce

In the end it all comes down to a simple choice, get busy livin' or get busy dyin' - The Shawshank Redemption

dad741

Can anybody here give us a real general "a day in the life of a SWO"? I'm interested to see how different it is from an aviation officer's day (besides the flying of course). Thanks in advance,

David

Status
Not open for further replies.