• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What happens if you DOR API/primary as an OCS grad?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
wait.....you mean that isn't Brett's real picture? When I visit Whidbey Island I have been carrying that picture around trying to find someone that matches that picture.....:D
You'd be surprised how many people expect Carville.

rotorhead1871

UH-1N.....NAS Agana, Guam....circa 1975
pilot
In the end it's all about timing man. I have several friends who were redesignated to other jobs within the Navy, and several more who became civilians. Some were DORs, some were academic drops. Just get down to Pensacola, kick butt and take names. Very rarely do people go "in debt" to the Navy, but you signed some documents saying the Navy can do what they wish with you for a certain number of years; be prepared to execute during those years.

DONT DOR!!! finish....get your wings....you came this far, dont turn around...flying cool hardware on uncles dime.....you cant beat it!

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
OP,

A little background before I address you, because this thread has not acquainted me with yours and, hey, we might have something in common:

I had no aspirations to aviation or military lifestyle at all when I signed my papers for OCS. My decision to join the military was the result of about a year's worth of thought after a sudden realization that my office job, a position I excelled at for some years and was shortly going to improve upon with a nice beachside high-rise transfer, was crushing my soul. I worked so hard to put myself through an affordable local college (18 night-class units and 40+ hours a week) that I inadvertently, but utterly, eschewed any sort of college experience for myself. At the finish line, I felt like my celebration balloons were half-inflated and the pizza had been cold before I even got there.

My leap to the military was a spontaneous but fortuitous one. It hasn't always been easy, but I possess the benefit of having spent some time "out in the real world" and being able to discern what it feels like to be truly unsatisfied with your line of work. I was able to correctly diagnose the void in my heart as something that could be completely satisfied by hard work (that I couldn't just steam roll by virtue of being good at something and showing up or it), camaraderie (a lot of which I missed out on in college) and travel (woo, Navy! Service of planes, trains and automobiles!).

How did you reach your decision to join the Navy? What hasn't meet your expectations yet?

I disagree heartily with the assumption that you didn't research your decision to join the military. At least, I don't think you've provided enough information for any of us to make that conclusion without sounding like chest-thumping Type A's who don't get why you don't feel naval aviation is the lady killingest, high-fiviest thing since sports.

I think we'd all appreciate it if you would share your experiences. Yes, this is the Internet and you can be as cryptic or anonymous as you want to be. But if you aren't willing to provide any more specific information about why you don't want to stay, the usefulness of this thread to you and others in your situation is going to fizzle out somewhere over the ocean pretty shortly. There may be somebody experiencing something like you are who could benefit from reading what you have to say. And we, as people who are at varying stages of "having been there" with this whole military aviation thing, might better be able to help those who come to this forum seeking similar answers in the future if you were to help us with some of the details.

Best of luck to you in your decision, and I hope what you find at the end is satisfaction that you made the right choice. I further hope we can help you make a decision you won't find yourself looking back on.

Last edited: