• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What happens at the end of OCS?

HueyCobra8151

pilot
When I went through our platoon staff didn't do shiat.

The MECEP's and other priors in the platoon divvied up our cash and bought all the midshipmen and PLCers Eagle, Globe, and Anchors. We had to ask our Plt Sgt to give us 20 minutes so we could pass 'em out.

Zbone8762

I've not ever heard of this; nor was I ever called an "officer student."

The Basic School = Teaching you how to become an officer.

OCS does not.

It gives you the title - gives you the chance to learn and prove that you deserve to keep it. But you have nothing to back it up with until you learn what your doing at TBS (ideally). It's like people here at flight school who say they are pilots - your not a pilot until you get those wings put on your chest.

You are an "officer student" - I remember hearing it on numerous occasions.

usmc_stud

pilot
I felt like a true Marine graduating from TBS...

I felt like one too, until I got to flight school. Now I have to be constantly reminded. j/k

To go back to the original question, it doesn't really matter what your official title is before you commission. Take pride in what you've accomplished but don't try to get respect from others by flaunting the title of "Marine." I always just said I was training to be an officer in the Marine Corps.

As far as being an "officer student" until graduating TBS, that's a load of crap. As soon as you're commissioned you are an officer. You receive the privileges and bear the responsibilities. You may not know anything, but even after TBS you don't really know anything (granted you know a heck of a lot more than a 2ndLt/O-1 in any other service).

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
The Basic School = Teaching you how to become an officer.

OCS does not.

It gives you the title - gives you the chance to learn and prove that you deserve to keep it. But you have nothing to back it up with until you learn what your doing at TBS (ideally). It's like people here at flight school who say they are pilots - your not a pilot until you get those wings put on your chest.

You are an "officer student" - I remember hearing it on numerous occasions.

I went through TBS too, I'm fairly certain that I know what its about. But I appreciate your effort in attempting to teach me something you assumed I didn't know.

And congratulations on having been an officer student. Would you like a high five? If you weren't or didn't feel like a Second Lieutenant and Marine Corps officer until you graduated TBS, then who am I to argue with you.

Oh, by the way... Its "you're."

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I must admit, for all the pomp and circumstance that generally goes along with military ceremonies, especially dealing with Marines and/or officers, the end of OCS was the biggest anti-climax I've ever encountered.
If you're looking to go around bragging about being a Marine after finishing OCS, then go ahead and do it. Nobody's likely to be the wiser. If you're trying to fit in with other military personnel, save your breath. They're not impressed that you finished OCS, and they won't be impressed after you're commissioned as a boot lieuie.
Take pride in the things that you've done, not a title that you may or may not have yet earned.

T80M

Theres a graduation from ocs ceremony. You dont receive shit. Parade in front of the family. Shortly after, those who have their degree and their families will attend the commissioning ceremony. Everyone else will go home. You get your EGA when you buy the uniform from the shop.

Is there is any delay between successful completion of OCS and pinning 2LT for OCC (college degree holding) candidates?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Is there is any delay between successful completion of OCS and pinning 2LT for OCC (college degree holding) candidates?

No it all happens same day. For us in 192, we finished the graduation ceremony. About 2 hours later, all the guys getting commissioned met up at the classroom. Everyone else who graduated but didnt get commissioned were well on their way home. This was back in 2006. I heard that recently they all went to the museum to do it. Minor details change year to year, but you will be commissioned on that day right after the graduation ceremony.