• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What happens after NPQ?

heloJO

Hello all. I am a winged helo pilot in the FRS who just got NPQd. I have been offered the chance at getting a waiver for service group 3 with the ability to become PIC revoked. Basically, I would be able to do my first tour and that would be it for my flying career since I wouldn't be able to move past 2P. At this point, I feel like I have an easy decision that I just don't want to make (refusing the waiver). As much as I love flying, I also want to be able to have a career in the Navy.

This leads me to my title question, what happens after being found NPQ? I know I will be redesignated, but how does that process work? Is it different from the lat transfer/redes boards held every year? Also, what are my chances of staying under the PERS43 umbrella? After putting in 3 years to aviation, I want to at least be able to apply some of what I've learned in my next job. I've been doing some research on AMDO and thinking that seems like a good option/fit for my background.

Any and all thoughts/advice is greatly appreciated.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
heloJO,
Without knowing the specifics of your situation, you may consider requesting a Special Board of Flight Surgeons (SBFS). See MANMED 15-81 for details. This represents an ability to take your case to a "higher court", which can be especially useful for complex cases, or cases where there are limited data for making a recommendation. Requesting a SBFS doesn't guarantee you'll get your day at NAMI, but there might be an opportunity to get a second look if you want to continue in fleet aviation.
R/

heloJO

heloJO,
Without knowing the specifics of your situation, you may consider requesting a Special Board of Flight Surgeons (SBFS). See MANMED 15-81 for details. This represents an ability to take your case to a "higher court", which can be especially useful for complex cases, or cases where there are limited data for making a recommendation. Requesting a SBFS doesn't guarantee you'll get your day at NAMI, but there might be an opportunity to get a second look if you want to continue in fleet aviation.
R/

Thanks, TimeBomb, but I guess I'm looking for an answer more on the admin side of things regarding redesignation. I'll try posting in a different forum.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
StuCon and the Front Office are your advocates at this point. They are most likely in contact with the Detailer on your behalf, but you're also driving your career at this point. You aren't the first person that's NPQ at the FRS. Things to consider:

-Do you still owe time from a commissioning source (USNA/ROTC)?
-Will PERS waive your winging commitment due to NPQ?
-If you can get out and fly civilian (assuming you're okay from an FAA Medical standpoint), would you want to do that?
-What makes you say AMDO? Have you talked to any AMDO (1520) types? Do you know what their career path looks like?
-Do you have en engineering background to do AEDO type stuff? Same questions as AMDO above apply.

I can see the pros/cons of being a Terminal H2P when you show up to a squadron, so I understand your reluctance. I could see you getting sidelined just because "they" know you have a ceiling. Not a for sure, but a serious possibility. Be honest with yourself and the folks at the FRS. Don't say "I want to stay Navy no matter what the job" if you don't mean it just to "look committed". That's how you end up with "insert your worst nightmare Navy job here".