• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What GPA do they look at

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyOCS

I have a question about the GPA they look at. Do they look at just your cumulative, or do they take your GPA in just your major into account as well? Also, is the BDCP more competetive to get into than applying for OCS after graduation? I really want to be a Naval Officer but the only thing holding me back is my GPA,which will be close to 3.0 when I graduate with a management degree.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They will look at the cumulative GPA unless there is a very noticable variance one way or the other. Then they will note what the class was and when it occured. Usually it is no big deal. BDCP is more competitive then a regular OCS application. On the other hand, if you wait until you graduate to apply you are far less likely to be selected given the competitive environment, your degree and major. As of this time they are slecting about 15 pilots and fewer NFOs and SWOs per month for OCS classes starting between July 04 and June 05. Supply Corps is a little better. The sooner you apply the better.

version2point0

completely agree. they will look at all different aspects of your GPA and the sooner you apply the better. why not apply for BDCP if its gonna pay your last few semesters in school instead of you paying it yourself, you know?

-v2.0

NavyOCS

So, if I have a bad Gpa in my first two years of college, and say a 3-3.5 GPA for my major, they would probably look at my major GPA? I know this is a generic question asked all of the time and there is no concise answer, but here goes. Does doing extremely well on the ASTB and the physical as well as other facets of the package submitted make up for a low GPA? Why is it better to apply before graduation? In other words, what makes it so much more competetive after graduation? Thanks.

jaydawg0043

Cumulative GPA is more important, but having a high GPA in your major could help a bit, probably more so if your major relates to the area you are applying to. If you kick butt on the ASTB, get involved in volunteer work and such around campus, get great Letters of Recommendation, and do everything else that needs to be done to put together the best possible application package then you could definitely offset a subpar GPA. I've seen quite a few people around the forums who've gotten in with 2.8ish GPA's. The whole person concept isn't a myth. If its what you really want then go for it and don't get discouraged.
I imagine its more competitive after graduation because then you're competing with more applicants (other recent civilian grads, enlisted applicants, and people who have been working in the private sector for awhile). I agree with Version2point0 - might as well go for BDCP and if you don't get it then apply again for OCS after graduation. Be persistent and good luck.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The whole person concept does still aplly. Only problem is the whole persons being selected these days have the great gpas and everything else we look for as well. Not many 2.8s being selected today unless it is in EE from MIT and the guy excels in other areas. The reason it is harder to get selected after graduation is most of the quotas have been filled by then. You want to get a shot at a class date just as soon as they are announced, as far in advance as possible. For a regular OCS applicant they are looking at class dates in the current year and the next. That is it. And the current year will probably be full. BDCP applicants are considered for class dates two-three years out, even before the Navy has set the actual level of hiring they need in that year. Simply put, BDCP people get first crack at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.