• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What does it take to be a Navy Pilot?

Intrepid12

Hello all,

This is my first post on this website. I am currently an aerospace engineering student who is about to start his sophomore year. I am looking to get some information about becoming a Navy Pilot. Something important to note is that I would be taking the OCS route. What type of 'resume' gets someone a pilot slot? In terms of ASTB scores, physical test scores, GPA, etc?

Also, here is what I anticipate I will accomplish following graduation. Could I possibly get a pilot slot with these accomplishments?:

B.S. Aerospace Engineering from respected university (Cal Poly)
3.0-3.3 GPA
Team Lead of UAV competition team
President of at least 1 aerospace club
Private Pilot's License
ASTB Statine 2 (Top 4%-11%)
Navy Physical Test 290/300 Points

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Spend a week reading the threads on this site, then come back and post a question that hasn't been asked and answered a thousand times.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Can't say I've seen an application with projections about intended ASTB/PT scores a few years down the line, but I'm digging the confidence :D But seriously, digest this forum wholesomely for a week and you'll leave knowing more than you could ever want to know about this stuff.

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Could I possibly get a pilot slot with these accomplishments?:

It's only possible if you apply...

I echo what others have said. It's amazing how many people think they can find out what their chances are of picking up a slot/platform/etc. It's an unpopular question here, because it's unknowable, and it implies that you'll give up if you think your chances are below some threshold- not a good trait for an aspiring aviation officer candidate. It doesn't work like a dice roll- you have to actually compete. You do your best to build a resume, apply for a spot, and let the chips fall where they may.

A better questions is, "am I qualified?"; however, that is something you can find out through researching what's already here. This board is tailored to more specific questions you may have later on. Remember, it's always better to post in an existing thread than it is to start a new one.

Good luck!

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Honestly a lot of luck is involved. The age old Naval Aviation motto "I'd rather be lucky than good" is there for a reason. It's a great life and no better job on the planet. Apply. Don't hesitate. Hard work and talent, while required, have a remarkably small effect on the outcome.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Honestly a lot of luck is involved. The age old Naval Aviation motto "I'd rather be lucky than good" is there for a reason. It's a great life and no better job on the planet. Apply. Don't hesitate. Hard work and talent, while required, have a remarkably small effect on the outcome.

Remember "Luck" is opportunity meeting preparation. As Chuck said, you have to apply.

Sonog

pilot
What you're asking is what it takes to get into OCS. Crush the ASTB, don't get a DUI, be healthy, and a dose of luck with loose selection boards.

what it takes to be a pilot is an actually more interesting question though.