• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What do you think my chances are?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbergem

Final Select Crypto, OCS 30 JUL 2005
Okay, am I totally kidding myself about the Navy? I am interested in applying for Crypto or Intel. I have 6+ years experience as a Network Engineer and am currently employed as an IT Director.

I went to a recruiter and decided to take the exam. I scored a 60 on the OAR and on the flight part a 6/6/5. (There are 3 scores, right?)

Now, here is the bad part. Because I screwed up royally as a kid when I first went to college, my cum GPA is a 2.6 . I returned to school 1.5 years ago. My GPA is a 3.8 for the new classes I have taken and my cum in my major is a 3.6. My major is mathematics and I am attending the University of California at Santa Barbara.

So, should I even bother?

kevin

oh come on...of course you should apply. im sure they'll see the improvement, and you're other scores are good. so why not at least try if you want it?

jlinscott

Also, when the navy calculates your GPA they will take all your transcripts from all your schools and average your class grades versus the credit load and that will be what the navy considers your GPA. They won't care if one school shows your GPA as low as long as your cumulative GPA across all schools is good.

However, as mentioned previously, they will see that you improved greatly (this will also be a big plus).

Good Luck

mbergem

Final Select Crypto, OCS 30 JUL 2005
Kevin, "if I want it"? Hehehe, I have dreamed of being a naval officer since I was 10. I thought I missed the boat (no pun intended) when I screwed up with school at 18-20. Now I am revisiting it and I am afraid to get my hopes up.

Daed, I am 29.

jlin, most of my GPA is from UCSB. That is where I went out of high school, failed out of, then "triumphantly" (lol) returned to. I have transcripts from 2 junior colleges and a summer session at UC Irvine, all of which are all A's with one B. Can you elaborate on how the Navy tabulates GPA?

jaerose

Basically, they'll take all the classes you took and factor in the amount of credit they're worth (4cr, 3cr etc) and then use your grade to figure your quality points (a B+ is a 3.3, so if it's a 2cr class you get 2*3.3=6.6 quality points). They then take the cumulative quality points (basically your GPA for each school multiplied by the number of credits you took) from each school and add them up, then divide them by the total amount of credits you took. So let's say you had a 2.0 GPA at one school and took 60 credits, you'd have 120 quality points. At your next school you had a 4.0 and also took 60 credits for 240 quality points. Your overall GPA would be 360 quality points divided by 120 credits, or 3.0. That's a simple example, but that's the formula they use (at least they did for me).

JR

jlinscott

I'll use part of my record as an example:

School- SDCC
CLASS GRADE CREDHours
1 3.0 3
2 3.0 3
3 4.0 3
4 4.0 3

School- Richland CC
CLASS GRADE CREDHours
1 4.0 3