• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What could go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackOrdered

Contributor
YNK,

As some of the other guys on here have probably already mentioned, the Pro-Rec portion is meant to serve as a "You're in the club" declaration, although they will further decide WHEN you can report to that club (or subsection of the club) by putting you through yet another obstacle - FINAL SELECT. The FINDOCS or MEDDOCS as it is called now, I believe, consists of going to MEPS (medical evaluation), completing the PFT (or called PFA for actives) with scores in the Good: Low categories or higher, completing all loose ends and finalizaing the EPSQ (although, now they are transisitioning to the SF86 Form for all branches of US Military), signing your NKO acknowledgements and statements that you've seen the OCS website, reading material, etc., and lastly, the hold no harm (release of liability) form. After all of this is completed, you'll be fingerprinted and your application will be sent off to CNRC for approval at the next selection board. Then a board recommendation will follow from the board, sending it on to a superior/senior officer (usually O-6, but in my case O-5) for signature, then transmitted to your NRC and recruiter/processor for selection of date of orders and swear-in ceremony. Then you are officially FINAL SELECTED!! I just went through the process and will be finishing everything tomorrow or Wednesday, so that's how I'm a bit fresh on all the info.. Let me know if you have any other questions..

About how long did it take from Pro rec to Final select?

BackOrdered

Contributor
How about you go find some other place tell everyone your sob story. You sound about worthless to me and I am glad that you didn't make the cut. Have a nice day friend. :)

So by your logic (or lack thereof) you admit that you believe the vast majority of people you claim to defend are "worthless," because most people wouldn't bother joining the military, even for money. He made a conscious decision to put his life at risk in defense of the country, however it may have worked out in the end. But he's worthless? You've just claimed, in effect, that anyone who can't make the cut for NFO is worthless. If you are the cream of the Navy officer corps, I weep for the nation. If we're all worthless, that means you have no concept of worth at all or what it means to defend the people of this nation. So he's worthless. How much would it take for you to abandon the worthless masses in the hour of their need? Or do you make a habit of charishing things of no value?

jmiller82

I'm going to have to side with FMRAM here.. While blackheartedone's story was somewhat moving, I don't think it falls under the periphery of AW, especially with would-be and potential aviators browsing this site. If he wants to post his blog about how the recruiters/BDCP program duped him, then by all means do so, but the venue to which he is sobbing is not appreciated.. Well done, FMRAM.. There are many other avenues as a United States Naval Officer, other than aviation, and blackheartedone chose to pursue a medical discharge rather than tough it out and move on to a different designator. To me, and it seems like a lot of others would agree, he just couldn't hack it.. Good luck with future endeavors, blackheartedone.

LATECH08

Kind of off topic....as in not harrasing anyone. Question though. The BDCP, When selected you are a OCSN/E-3, are you paid BAH? Or is it just the base E-3 pay?

jmiller82

Not sure about BDCP (I would assume it falls into the same category as OCS applicants), but all those going to OCS [if married or with dependent(s)] will receive BAH while at OCS. I believe it is based upon your HOR (home of record) zip code. Also, if your spouse/dependent resides outside of the Pensacola area (about 50 miles or more outside), you will receive an additional allowance, the FSA (Family Seperation Allowance) for $250 each month, beginning after 30 days of seperation from the spouse/dependent. Basically, since the gov't is making you come to OCS for duty and they cannot join you, it's a consolation allowance to help offset some of the costs. Look for it on your third or fourth LES (Leave and earning statement) after starting OCS.
One more thing, OCS pay is at the E-5 rate, not E-3. Once commissioned, you get O-1 rate..

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
My husband was BDCP while we were in college and he got BAH, so unless they've changed things since then (which is always a possibility), you should get BAH in addition to pay. And I believe that making the Dean's list will get you a promotion/pay increase. Again, that's how it was when my husband was in the program. Hopefully it's still as awesome now as it was then.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
It's still that awesome. :D Just got finished with my BDCP (school part), headed to OCS. Got full BAH and BAS, promotion with two semesters consecutively on Dean's List, or for referring someone to the program (possible to promote twice while in the program).

pdx

HSM Pilot
Not sure about BDCP (I would assume it falls into the same category as OCS applicants), but all those going to OCS [if married or with dependent(s)] will receive BAH while at OCS. I believe it is based upon your HOR (home of record) zip code. Also, if your spouse/dependent resides outside of the Pensacola area (about 50 miles or more outside), you will receive an additional allowance, the FSA (Family Seperation Allowance) for $250 each month, beginning after 30 days of seperation from the spouse/dependent. Basically, since the gov't is making you come to OCS for duty and they cannot join you, it's a consolation allowance to help offset some of the costs. Look for it on your third or fourth LES (Leave and earning statement) after starting OCS.
One more thing, OCS pay is at the E-5 rate, not E-3. Once commissioned, you get O-1 rate..

bad gouge. Most of the above, either doesn't apply or is not true.

jmiller82

It's all posted on the OCS website (although I understand that that site hasn't been updated in a while). And the BAH portion is correct for sure.. I had to provide a lease agreement verifying that my wife is still going to be there (not at P'cola with me) just to get BAH. Here's how the OCS website (listed under "Pay & Benefits") put it (as well as my recruiter):

"You will be considered on active duty from the day you leave home. You will receive the pay of an E-5, or your current paygrade if higher. If you are married and/or have children, the Navy will add a tax-free Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) to your E-5 base pay. Depending on your individual situation, you may be eligible for Family Separation Allowance (FSA) if your dependents don’t live in the Pensacola area."

How is that bad gouge, unless they've changed things to the point where there is a). no BAH for dependents; b). no pay at the grade of E-5 (less of a grade); c). no FSA? I understand that FSA "might" have changed, but then why would the NRD inform me to look for it after my first month there (they told me to wait 30 days after starting and it would show up on the LES)? If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but correct me rather than just pointing out, "bad gouge."

pdx

HSM Pilot
You are missing the point. It sounds like you copied this info off some website without understanding what exactly it meant. There is some true data in there, but it is mixed up.

First of all, he is asking about BDCP, and he will be paid as an O-3 for his first year in the BDCP program. There are some exceptions to this, but that is another topic.

Second, your Home of Record has nothing to do with how you or your spouse or anyone else is paid.

Third, this isn't the first time you have posted something filled with official sounding acronyms improperly used. If it didn't matter, nobody would say anything, but it does matter.

So why not sit back and let the people who are currently in BDCP or recently commissioned from BDCP answer the question. Maybe while you are at OCS, one of your BDCP classmates will fill you in on exactly how BDCP works. Many of them will be getting E-6 pay while you are drawing E-5.

If someone asks, hey, how does FSA work if you are married heading to OCS, THAT might be a good idea to chime in. It sounds like you have actual experience with that.

jmiller82

You are missing the point.. There is some true data in there, but it is mixed up.

First of all, he is asking about BDCP, and he will be paid as an O-3 for his first year in the BDCP program. There are some exceptions to this, but that is another topic.

O-3? Wow, that sounds better than Direct Commission! While I understand it's a typo, understand that when stress (and particularly anger) sets in people make mistakes..

Second, your Home of Record has nothing to do with how you or your spouse or anyone else is paid.

It does when I recieve my BAH as xxxxx zip code instead of as 32508 (NAS Pensacola) while at OCS.

Third, this isn't the first time you have posted something filled with official sounding acronyms improperly used. If it didn't matter, nobody would say anything, but it does matter.

While it's true I've made mistakes on AW, it's also true that what I post is EXACTLY what I've heard from the "official sounding acronym," recruiter of the NRD I'm working with (that'd be the Navy Recruiting District - it just sounds official, but apparently isn't). As for the mistake on asnwering a question for the guy about BDCP, I apologize, BUT at some point, he WILL have to go through OCS, and this information will apply to him (except, as you have pointed out, the pay rate).

pdx said:
So why not sit back and let the people who are currently in BDCP or recently commissioned from BDCP answer the question. Maybe while you are at OCS, one of your BDCP classmates will fill you in on exactly how BDCP works. Many of them will be getting E-6 pay while you are drawing E-5.

So, I am to assume that a higher pay rate at OCS equates a higher knowledge level or an ability to not mix up posts on AW? If that's your logic, you've got a long way to go before coming a the Naval Officer you need to be. Thanks a lot buddy..

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...completing the PFT (or called PFA for actives) with scores in the Good: Low categories or higher, completing all loose ends and finalizaing the EPSQ (although, now they are transisitioning to the SF86 Form for all branches of US Military)
For someone who is a "fresh" on this info, it really sounds like you are repeating things that you think you understand based on your limited experience.

The Navy admininisters a semi-annual (every six months) Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA). It consists of a height/weight/BCA (Body Composition Assessment) and a PRT (Physical Readiness Test). All of it together is called the PFA and is taken by all active duty and reserve Navy personnel.

The SF86 form has been used for many, many years for your security clearance questionaire. It is not something they are transitioning to.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, I am to assume that a higher pay rate at OCS equates a higher knowledge level or an ability to not mix up posts on AW? If that's your logic, you've got a long way to go before coming a the Naval Officer you need to be. Thanks a lot buddy..
That's not what he was saying. Your post implied that all personnel going to OCS will be getting E-5 pay. He was correcting you by saying that SOME of the people there will in fact be getting E-6 pay.

As for your last comment, you should probably wait until you are at least commissioned first before you start judging what type of officer someone should be. But to a more important extent, you should pay particular attention to how you address commissioned officers, reserve, active, or retired. This really isn't up for negotiation. Got it?

It is, however, not necessary to address anyone by their rank.

Status
Not open for further replies.