• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What can I do to boost my resume?

pvalli1

Hi everybody,

I know there’s the “use the google search bar” crowd, but I haven’t really found a clear answer.

I’m a junior at LSU. I want to apply to OCS. I have a cumulative 3.1, but that’s coming off of a 1.6 my freshman year (I’ve had a 3.6-3.9 every semester since then), and I’m probably going to finish in the ballpark of a 3.4/3.5 GPA. I currently am involved in our Ducks Unlimited Chapter (#1 in the nation), have worked on student government campaigns, and I have a job in records management at the State Department of Environmental Quality.

I know my freshman year I had a shitty gpa but I think I’ve turned things around about as well as I could’ve. I’m just looking for any advice as to how to make my resume more appealing. I haven’t taken the ASAVAB (sic?) yet, but I intend to.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I’m no expert on the USMC recruiting side but your best bet is to sit down with an OSO and talk about options as well as ways to improve your application. From what I hear a lot more than GPA goes into selection.

jjg

I was working with an OSO a while ago and besides a resume and GPA, the PST is one of the biggest factors. Go to all of the workouts with them and show them you want it and preform well. He also said that the letter you write to the board holds a lot of weight, even to the point where they count every word to make sure your within the word requirement. Your OSO will write their own letter too. So making a good impression on your OSO is important as well.

Other than that, your involvement on campus seems solid, but volunteering more never hurts. From my experience, they really look into the "whole person" concept heavily.

Last edited:

Scruff

None
Contributor
Your GPA isn't that bad. Plenty of guys have been picked up with lower.
Technical majors are taken into consideration. If you're in the communication, poli sci, generic business crowd it they'll eye that GPA.
Take on leadership positions. And honestly, no one really cares about Ducks Unlimited. Talking real leadership positions.
Volunteer if you have time, again, no ducks unlimited, pheasants forever, delta waterfowl etc...
Stay out of trouble: No DUIs, under age possessions, drug use and so on.
Get in real good shape.

Also, check the waivers for thyroid. My buddy had his removed and is finishing up his JO tour.

Good luck.

EDIT and Disclaimer: If you find a way to go Aviation: don't put your name in for NFO, its a dead end road. Also, I'm not a Marine.

pvalli1

Your GPA isn't that bad. Plenty of guys have been picked up with lower.
Technical majors are taken into consideration. If you're in the communication, poli sci, generic business crowd it they'll eye that GPA.
Take on leadership positions. And honestly, no one really cares about Ducks Unlimited. Talking real leadership positions.
Volunteer if you have time, again, no ducks unlimited, pheasants forever, delta waterfowl etc...
Stay out of trouble: No DUIs, under age possessions, drug use and so on.
Get in real good shape.

Also, check the waivers for thyroid. My buddy had his removed and is finishing up his JO tour.

Good luck.

EDIT and Disclaimer: If you find a way to go Aviation: don't put your name in for NFO, its a dead end road. Also, I'm not a Marine.
What's a real leadership position? volunteering? And are you saying a 3.1 with a double major poli sci/history would be taken into consideration? If I were to finish with a 3.3/3.5 would they eye that?

The Navy allows people with hypothyroid to join without a waiver (I'm 99% sure) because it's not a big deal if you lose your meds. You just can't fly. I would assume the Marines use the same standards.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
This is Marine Corps OCS you’re applying for right?

Get a 300 on the PFT.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Marines?

Stand in front of the mirror and practice your "Yut, yut Devildog" with knife hand until you get the posture, gesture and voice inflection perfect. Guaranteed to help in your interview....

QuanticoIsCold

I got selected for PLC combined with a 2.12 GPA in political science after being "academically dismissed" from a state school, then readmitted to same state school. I'm in primary right now, miracles or the make a wish program do happen. Do well on PFT, control what you can, talk to an OSO and show them how bad you want it by going to and putting out at pool functions. To quote the great Michael Scott " 'You miss 100% of the shots you don't take' -Wayne Gretzky"

pvalli1

whats the difference between PLC and OCS? I read it's an alternative but what are the real differences?

Great quote usage, also.

QuanticoIsCold

Good question, it can be a bit confusing. OCS is a command or "school" that the Marine Corps uses to train, screen and select officers. This "school" runs several "classes" depending on the situation of the individual. The most common are Platoon Leaders Class (PLC) Juniors/Seniors for college freshman, sophomores and juniors and are 6 week sessions in summers between college. The juniors course is a prerequisite for seniors. If you are a college junior, you can attend PLC combined which is one 10 week session during the summer after which you return and complete your senior year of college. The other main OCS class is OCC, officer candidates course. This is a 10 week session held 3 times per year (combined with PLC combined in the summer) for college seniors or graduates, after which you are commissioned and given a weekend of liberty, then start TBS. ROTC students attend just PLC seniors, and prior enlisted Marines attend the 10 week program. That plus a college degree gets you some gold bars.