• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are the odds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottac

I am 25. I have been enlisted for two years now and am going to my first ship in April. I am going to be applying to sta-21 next year for sure. How much will letters from congressman and senators help. On a personal level, I know 1 ex-state senator, and a state Representative. On a non-personal level, I know one more state senator. I really don't want to mention who they are on this board, but the one of them is a Naval War Hero( if you can guess who it is that is fine but I won't give up the name ).

I guess my main question is this; I know that the most important Opinion is that of my CO, how much weight will these letters from government officials hold? Obviously they will be considered, but in the opinion of this board, will they hold a lot or a little weight.

thanks in advance for all the help.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If they are letters that will personally be written by them, then I say fine. However, if someone on their staff is going to do it for them, it probably wouldn't be to your benefit. Letters of recommendation (for anything) are to serve as another reference to the type of person you are. Hell, I can sit here and write a full two page letter of recommendation for you and end up not saying a damn thing. Choose your rec's wisely, not just on the stature of the individual it is coming from. This is strictly my opinion and how I would approach it. I could be wrong.

scottac

I agree, a letter written by staff wouldn't work. These letters will be written by the individual, again these are people I know on a personal level (except one, and am good friends with the family of this one). They can all testify to the nature of my character, and am very confident that I will get excepted without these recomendations.

thanks again for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.