• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are the chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stymaster

I've got a couple of questions about becoming a pilot. I've heard alot lately about all of the pilot slots are full for the next year or so...how do you find this out for sure. I've also heard that there is a possibility that if go NFO that you can crossover to pilot later on in the pipeline...is there any way to find out more about this? My OCS package is almost complete and I would like to have an idea of what to expect. Any information would be appreciated.

jasand

There's is a lot of rumors and info going around on this. This is my understanding. SNA slots for FY 04 are full and actually over assigned by 20 people or so. Those over-allocations will be held over for FY 05 slots. As far as I know there have been few selections made for FY 05 slots. Recruiting numbers and goals came out last week. I have heard some information that there is going to be a selection board for aviation at Millington in late October. If that is true chances are they are going to start handing out selecitons for FY 05 fast, there seems to be a lot of people waiting around, I have heard of some people on this site who have had their apllication in for months even close to a year. My recruiter told me very recently that Millington called and asked for all aviation applications to be sent up. So it looks like they have quite a few applicants, so my guess would be it's going to be very competitive.

As far as going from SNFO to SNA while in the training pipeline, don't count on it. I've got a few friends finishing up Advanced right now, and they told me it just doesn't happen. Good luck.

-Jason

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
lateral transfers in the navy aren't an option until after you have become warfare qualified. As far as NFO To NA... you have to do an operational tour first as an nfo and then be selected to go back through.

Stymaster

do think there would be a choice to go either NFO this year or pilot in FY05? there seems like there should be a standby or alternate list...or is that the over allocations you are talking about?

jasand

Rumor is that there are NFO slots left for FY 04, but you will have to talk to your recruiter about that. Over-allocations are not standbys, as it turns out the Navy overestimated the number of spots they would have for FY 04 when they handed out the selections. Because of that they had prommised more spots then were available. Of course if a spot were to open up it would probably go to one of these twenty people who are sloted for the FY 04 quota. I think what it comes down to is if you want a SNA slot it's 05 or later. Now keep in mind that the fiscal year for the government starts in October, and quotas are determined by the month that people graduate from OCS. Therefore someone could start OCS as early as July 2004 and be part of the 05 quota. Your best bet is to get your package in as soon as possible and play the waiting game with everyone else, the whole process takes a lot longer than you think. The military is not exactaly known for their speed in processing paperwork, applications, etc. The only thing that you can control is how fast you get all the requirements to your recruiter, the faster they get everything they need the quicker your package gets to Millington. Good Luck!

-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.