• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What about SNFO to SNA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

josejimmenez

Selected for SNFO
Is there a chance to re designate from SNFO to SNA? has it ever happened in the history of the NAVy? what about NFO to Pilot Transitions? how do they work and whats the time line?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think they are both possible, but I don't have any more information than that.

josejimmenez

Selected for SNFO
Any one else have any info on changing designators before and during primary? Also has any one here had experience with the Fleet NFO to Pilot Program?

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
josejimmenez said:
Any one else have any info on changing designators before and during primary? Also has any one here had experience with the Fleet NFO to Pilot Program?

you may want to hop over to the API forum and ask there. As far as I've been told since being here at API.. SNFOs can make the transition to SNA. If you've been selected SNFO, give student control a call, they should have more information. 850-452-3542

rahall79

First, I'm not an SNA so this is just what I have heard. I read somewhere that they are no longer doing "retreads" for jets. Which is someone that was an NFO that becomes and SNA. Something that had to do with that jet crash over Nashville in '96. THe guy was a retread, so now the Navy will only allow NFO's to fly with another pilot in the cockpit.

The NFO to pilot transition program (that's the fleet side that patmack mentioned) went away for a few years after the Tomcat mishap in Memphis. It came back a year or two ago and the seniority limit was raised this year to make a few more folks eligible for it. My squadron has three guys applying for it this time around.

josejimmenez

Selected for SNFO
So shooter, what are the stats on the guys who get accepted to the program? I know I'm getting like five years ahead of myself, but indulge me.
Also forgive my ignorance but what is a "Hoover"?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think Hoover is a name for the S-3B Viking.

Yes, Hoover is the nickname for the S-3B since the TF34 engines sound like vaccuum cleaners. "Stats" are tough to come up WRT the NFO-pilot process as each applicant is unique, but I'll tell you that it is a very competitive process. We've had one guy pick it up in this squadron in the past two years out of four applicants. If you're thinking that the NFO-pilot transition is what you want to do, I'll tell you this. The guy that I know that picked it up way earlier than anybody else had his commercial/multi/CFII. It was equally important that he was a superstar in his S-3 squadron. There are no guarantees, but history is the only guide you have.

josejimmenez

Selected for SNFO
Thanks Shooter,
my civilian stats right now are commercial CFI/MEI, Im working on my CFII and have 400 hrs. Right now I'm looking at an NFO slot,which is great too I guess, but It'd be nice to get back on the stick some day. So your an S-3 driver huh. Whats NFO like on those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.