• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Weight requirments

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhollin1

I am a few pounds overweight. Will they weigh me during the PRT and if so will they wait to submit my application?

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

NuSnake

If youre overweight and its noticeable, my recruiter at least, would tell you too get back intouch with him after youve taken care of the problem, whatever it may be. You need to just go out there and bust your ass until the problem is solved. I'm sure no recruiter wants to back someone when he knows its probable theyll get shot down. I've seen some guys get blown off down here because of that, ESPECIALLY for a flight spot, its a very athletic field from what I am told.

rhollin1

If we are going by weight alone then I'm over, but I have been lifting for many years so the weight to height ratio is a bit misleading. I'm not fat; I'm just over the maximum that the navy wants. I think I would be ok if they would do the measurement. Also I lost 20 pounds in 8 weeks so loosing it won't be a problem. The more muscle you have the easier it is to loose it. My run right now is around 11:30 and I see it getting better as I loose more. If I'm not going to OCS for a while then I'll come in to OCS in great shape. I have that drive to get to my goal.

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

FlyGirl

Hey Rhollin: I would try to do what you can now to lose weight. But if you do the medical and they say you are overweight...they may just tell you to drop a few pounds and check back in a couple of weeks. (there was an enlisted girl going through MEPS, whom I overheard this stated to her.)

I was lucky, didn't have a problem on the weight thing (as girls get like 35% body fat oked by navy..which is actually really high). But since I've had so many months to prepare for OCS, I have lost at least 10 pounds since my medical. I still have a little over 4 months til OCS..so I'll have plenty of time to keep getting in shape. I am now running 3 miles/3 times a week and swimming 3 days a week...plus the situps, etc. Now I'm on a roll and have to make sure I eat enough!!! It's amazing how the tables turn so fast when you really start getting into high gear. (I can only imagine what OCS will do..... A friend of mine lost 30 pounds in those 13 weeks and he was average weight when he went in!!! -- and they ate candy whenever they could get their hands on it!!)

ChipK96

My recruiter told me that as long as I got under in bodyfat I was ok. I was a good bit within the limit by navy standards, the only area I had trouble with was the weight limit for pilot, he told me that I had to be a good bit under that for my physical. I ended up dropping about 60 pounds in 5 months from my playing weight to get there. I think the measurement basically helps if you have a big neck since that's what they compare your waist to.

FlyGirl

Is there a difference between the weigh in for navy and weigh in for pilot?? The only thing I heard is about the body measurements and the fact you have to weigh at least 140 to go jets. (otherwise your spine can't take the dynamite blow out if you eject.) Are there other requirements??

ghost_ttu

I think I heard you can't be any heavier than 235 lbs. Is that gonna be a problem for you Fly? [:p]

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

dewahl

The safety of flight reqs say 235 lbs, but can be waiverable up to 245. Something to do with the ejection seat and parachute ratings.

FlyGirl

Ghost: I'm worried about not weighing enough..not the other way around! Why are you worried??

LOL..you just don't want me to get jets, do you?

ghost_ttu

you can have jets, you'll be there before I get there. If we are at the same time then NOBODY but me is allowed

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

Status
Not open for further replies.