• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Weight Limits

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I have seen the rules and regs regarding the weight limits in the Navy and I am totally screwed. I am 5 foot eleven inches and weigh about 210 pounds. Unfortunately I can't lose most of the weight because it is muscle. Is there any way I can make the cut?

Singer6

Konichiwa *****es
You're fine dude. If you exceed the height/weight standards they do a body fat test and if you are under like 25% they don't care. I'm flirting with that too. There are plenty of people who are outside of the limits and they still get to fly.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
As long as you meet the body fat index standards, not a problem. When I was commissioned, I was 215lbs (6'). I'm now 225 and still don't have a problem (though it's much tougher to maintain now).

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I'm overweight now, and I'm still flying. If you're over the max weight, they'll tape you to measure your body fat. At least they're supposed to, but once you're in the Navy it seems to go by the wayside. They didn't tape me at my last PRT weighin or flight physical.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
I concur, I am like 5'9" and 215 but tape well below the body fat max, thats all you need man, and don't exceed the 235 lb max for flying.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Like the others have said...it is about body fat, not necessarily body weight.

1.20 HEIGHT - WEIGHT POLICIES

Aviation Limits: A minimum weight of 100 pounds and maximum of 235 remain in effect per NATOPS for all aviation personnel/applicants. Applicants will be considered for waivers by the appropriate line authority (BUPERS/USMC/CNRC). NAMI Code 342/BUMED M3F83 does not consider height/weight or anthropometric measurements on physical review. Per NATOPS 3710.7S, the minimum weight is 100 pounds and a maximum of 235 for aviation duty personnel. For personnel on non-ejection aircraft using parachute's, the maximum weight is 245 pounds. This is a safety of flight issue based on current ejection seat and parachute weight limit testing data. Waivers below and above these numbers are consideration on an individual basis. Members with nude body weight below 135 and above 218 pounds are to be advised that they are at increased risk for ejection injury .

Navy aviation personnel will follow the same standards and administrative procedures as outlined in the new CNO Physical Readiness Program. Aviation personnel must meet the height/weight table standards of the current Physical Readiness Program listed in OPNAVINST 6110.1 series.

If member exceeds both weight for height and body fat standards, send a memorandum to the member's commanding officer advising that member is not in compliance with administrative requirements of OPNAVINST 6110.1 series.

The CO may elect to ground a member until he or she meets standards.

The Flight Surgeon need not recommend grounding the aviator unless the excess weight is considered to be a detriment to performance, safety of flight or emergency egress.

Applicants for aviation programs must meet the general standards (table or body fat). If already in a training program leading to commissioning, the parent command shall be advised that member must meet weight standards and/or body fat standards prior to commissioning.

Marine Corps aviation personnel must follow the provisions of MCO 6100.10 series. A separate aviation waiver from ASM 34 is not required unless below 100 or above 235 pounds for ejection seat aircraft.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
I'm on the edge too. I'm waiting to send in my package until I hit the weight or body fat. I'm 6'3" 230 and I was told by my recruiter its 22% body fat for that height, but I'm at the top as far as height goes so I don't know what it is for shorter fellas.

matt6599

BDCP SNA 2007
It is 22% for everyone. Make sure you are under that and you will be fine. Just try not to gain more weight and end up over 230 as someone above has said.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
matt6599 said:
It is 22% for everyone. Make sure you are under that and you will be fine. Just try not to gain more weight and end up over 230 as someone above has said.

One of the most recent Navy Times had the new fitness policy that is being implemented in the Navy (yes, another new one). Part of the new policy will allow 26% for people who score Oustanding or Excellent overall with no individual part below Good. Another part of the new policy also allows holds Cheifs and O's (ie. noted in your Fitrep) for subordinates who fail.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
One of the most recent Navy Times had the new fitness policy that is being implemented in the Navy (yes, another new one). Part of the new policy will allow 26% for people who score Oustanding or Excellent overall with no individual part below Good. Another part of the new policy also allows holds Cheifs and O's (ie. noted in your Fitrep) for subordinates who fail.
I can't see that being used except in extreme/unique cases.

Brett