• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wedding Invitations

sumrluvr4

Hey Girls - for Lieutenant j.g. - should it be abbreviated or should junior grade be spelled out?!

Nothing I've looked through has clarified that part of it. Thanks!

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
I believe everything is suppose to be spelled out. I spelled out junior grade on mine.

There is a Knot Note in this article that says "Military titles should never be abbreviated" (scroll down to the Invitations section).

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Depends also on how formal you want to be. For my wedding most of the invitations were just the first and last name, short first name if it applied (Matt instead of Matthew, for example). For a few people though, we did use the full title. I'd say it depends on whom you're inviting. Someone who you know professionally but don't really hang with (but have a great deal of respect for and that's why you're inviting them, e.g. your OCS DI), or the skipper (someone well above you), you should make that as formal as possible. For your buddies who happen to be O-1 to O-3 I'd just go with first and last name. I'm not a very formal person though.

How formal is your wedding to be?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
For the groom's name, the most correct way to do it is

Mister Firstname Lastname, Rank, United States Navy for O-1 thru O-3.

Thats how its written out on my invites.

yogaddict

Girls:

A different question- can you have a military wedding without the sword arch? We are having a very small, private affair and I think a sword arch might be out of place...

helo_wifey

Its your wedding, you can do whatever you want ;). I couldn't tell you though, we were married JOP. We we do have the "real" ceremony we'll be having a casual wedding, though he'll probably still wear some sort of uniform but there won't be a sword arch. Just an idea.

Pags

N/A
pilot
helo_wifey said:
Its your wedding, you can do whatever you want ;). I couldn't tell you though, we were married JOP. We we do have the "real" ceremony we'll be having a casual wedding, though he'll probably still wear some sort of uniform but there won't be a sword arch. Just an idea.
Like helo-wifey said, it's your wedding, do what you want to do.

yogaddict

New Question

This may be asking the stupid question, but is it possible to have a military wedding on the beach? Something fell through with my ceremony location and I am trying to think of new ideas in a crunch...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
^ Yes... you can.

What makes a military wedding a military wedding is the uniforms and some of the tradition... not the location. I've actually been to a military wedding in a public garden...

Cheers and good luck with the wedding planning.
-Bubba

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This may be asking the stupid question, but is it possible to have a military wedding on the beach? Something fell through with my ceremony location and I am trying to think of new ideas in a crunch...
Absolutely! I've been to a navy wedding on the beach and it turned out really great.