• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Watch repair in San Diego

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I took my Breitling Intruder to this guy. The watch needed a battery for sure, a crystal and, I figured a $350 overhaul. Nope, just the battery, crystal and gasket. Out the door for about $110. Great service.

http://www.dstimeservice.com/

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The problem with using a non-Breitling authorized repair center is that they may not use Breitling parts. Then later on, if you have a problem which does require Breitling's expertise, they are not only going to fix you problem but they are going to yank out every non-Breitling part and charge you for those too.

If you send it to Breitling USA, they have a standard price for a service and it is listed on their website. For a quartz it is $300 t0 $380 depending on the model not including a new cyrstal. A service includes "movement overhaul. Complete dismantling of the mechanism, cleaning, replacement of worn-out movement components, assembling, lubrication and adjustment of functions and daily rate. Exchange of battery on quartz watches. Polishing of case and metal bracelet, replacement of all gaskets and water resistance control.'" They do everything listed whether your watch needs it or not. For a quartz (battery) watch this may not always be necessary. For an automatic watch, you definitely want the full service every 5 or so years (automatic services run between $350 and $750 depending on the model).

But.....JD Watchworks in San Francisco is an authorized Breitling repair center that doesn't necessarily always insist on doing everything on Breitlings service card nor does he charge the full Breitling service price. He looks at each watch individually and tells you what it needs. He is usually a good bit cheaper than sending it to Breitling USA but it will have Breitling parts so there are no problems down the road. I had a Late 1990s Chronomat I bought that had never been serviced. Instead of paying the $560 BUSA says a service cost for this watch, he did everything listed and only charged me $380. He even threw in another link for my stainless steel braclet which BUSA sells for $95 each (I'm sure the dealer cost is less). I highly recommend him.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
Thanks for this gouge...I have a used Pluton that I've sent in for 3 overhauls because the battery keeps dying a year after the overhaul. I'm going to give the watch one more shot but I'm done with Breitling USA and shelling out 3-4 bills every time. And they are exactly between the squadron and home!

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So... My 3 year old son knocked my wife's Rolex off the kitchen table and the crystal shattered. That leads to the question, do I use the Rolex service center in Dallas or a local dealer for the repair?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Unless there is a local dealer that is authorized by Rolex to do repairs, I'd use the Dallas service center. Many non-authorized repairman can not get Rolex parts and use substitutes or counterfeits. Plus if it ever does go to an authorized service center later on, Rolex may insist on changing out any non-Rolex parts at your cost before they do any work on the watch. Or if it is still within the warranty, using a non-authorized repairman may void the remaining warranty.

How long has she had the watch? If it's been 4 or 5 years, it probably needs a service too (cleaning, oil, etc.). If so, another reason to use the Dallas service center.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks Hal! She's had the watch since 2008 so a cleaning is due. Being relatively new to the San Antonio area, I'm not too familiar with the local dealer so my trust in them is low. I guess the Dallas service center is the place. Thanks!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You definitely want to use the service center for a cleaning/full service. They will completely disassemble the watch and rebuild it. They'll polish it too. It will come back working & looking like new.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks! Although I shudder at what the bill is going to be...

I guess that's the cost of having a nice watch.